Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of May 29, 2023
**City administrative offices, including the Common Council Office, will be closed on Monday, May 29, 2023, in observance of Memorial Day. All emergency services will be open; please call 911. Use Report-a-Problem for non-emergencies that can wait until the next City working day.**
Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee - Tuesday, May 30, 2023: The Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee will occur in person on Tuesday, May 30, 2023, at the Parks Division Lakeside Offices. Agenda items include a review and discussion on the draft of Sasaki's scope of services, a discussion of Sasaki's visit to Madison in June, and more!
Community Development Block Grant Committee - Thursday, June 1, 2023: The Community Development Block Grant Committee takes place in person on Thursday, June 1, 2023, in Room 215 in the Madison Municipal Building. Agenda items include authorizing an amendment of the contract between the City of Madison and Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin (CAC) to provide housing stability services, approving a loan to YWCA Madison, Inc. from the Community Facilities Loan Program to help finance the rehabilitation of programming space at the Empowerment Center located at 2040 S. Park Street and more!
Events: This Week
- West Area Plan Community Survey Ends - Wednesday, May 31, 2023: The planning team has been collecting community feedback over the past four (4) months on assets, issues, and opportunities. If you have not had the chance yet, please share what you like best about the West Area and what you would like the plan to cover by completing the West Area Community Survey! You can visit the webpage to see what others have been saying. Your feedback will be used to draft initial concepts and recommendations. The planning team will schedule community feedback opportunities for July and August to review the initial recommendations. Subscribe to Plan's email list to receive feedback opportunities and other Plan information.
- Public Health's Violence Prevention Unit is hosting a virtual session on Restorative Justice. The session is on Wednesday, May 31, 2023, from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. The virtual session is free, but registration is required: https://bit.ly/vp_webinar10. The session will be recorded and available on Public Health's Violence Prevention Unit webpage.
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday, May 31, 2023: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers' Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in between the Madison Municipal Building and the City-County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers' Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- Concerts on the Rooftop: The LoveMonkeys - Thursday, June 1, 2023: This crazy group of guys plays instruments, jumps around on stage, and has a curious fondness for animals of the primate variety. The LoveMonkeys blend rock, pop, and reggae into one of the most fun and original performances in the Midwest.
- Wellness Talks: Is There Gain from Pain? - Friday, June 2, 2023: Caught in a vicious cycle of stress? Feeling physically tired yet mentally wired? Join bodywork therapist Miranda Merkes LMT and naturopathic doctor Ruddy ND for a joint discussion on dispelling myths often in the way of true recovery and long-term wellness. They'll provide a holistic map on how to help guide your daily bodymind practice in regaining its deeper connection and uncovering your full healing potential.
- Live at The Glen-Vince Sweeney - Friday, June 2, 2023: Live at The Glen featuring Vince Sweeney! Enjoy the relaxing music of acoustic guitarist and singer Vince Sweeney, a native Madisonian whose expansive song list spans decades. From Neil Young to The Beatles, from the Eagles to Dylan, Springsteen, Petty, and many more, Sweeney strings together great cover songs that add up to an enjoyable evening of free live music on the patio at The Glen Golf Park.
- Dane Co. Wear Orange Event - Friday, June 2, 2023: Join Moms Demand Action and Public Health Madison and Dane County at Meadowood Park on Friday, June 2, 2023, from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM to celebrate our Wear Orange event, raise awareness, and call for an end to gun violence. We’ll have food, music, speeches from community leaders, and activities for kids. We’ll also have resource tables and messages from community organizations. Don't forget to wear orange!
- Madison Bike Week - Saturday, June 3, 2023 - Saturday, June 10, 2023: Madison Bikes are thrilled to invite you to be part of Madison Bike Week 2023. For more information, visit https://www.madisonbikes.org/events/bikeweek.
- Friends of Madison Public Library BIG BOOK SALE - Saturday, June 3, 2023: Seven library Friends' groups are pooling their inventory for a large sale of gently used and donated books. The sale takes place Saturday, June 3, 2023, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM, rain or shine, at the Madison Public Library Service & Support Center at 1301 W. Badger Road in Madison. All proceeds benefit Madison Public Libraries.
- Kids Fishing Day - Saturday, June 3, 2023: Every year, the Yahara Fishing Club sponsors this event, which is on the same weekend that an adult fishing license is not required. It has been at the Warner Park Lagoon from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. A lot of fish are usually caught, including a couple good-sized large mouth bass and a lot of decent blue gills.
- Cars on State - Saturday, June 3, 2023: One Madison's finest downtown summer traditions, the 14th Annual Classic Car Show will be held Saturday, June 3, 2023. This free show spans six blocks of State Street in Downtown Madison. This family-friendly event offers a perfect day for everyone to come downtown, take a stroll around the Farmers Market on the Square, and see a wonderful array of vintage cars. You can talk to the owners, grab a bite to eat, and shop at locally owned downtown businesses. Car enthusiasts can explore the history and unique characteristics of classic cars and trucks.
- Pride Ride - Saturday, June 3, 2023: "Let's ride for Pride." Trek and Forward Madison FC are teaming up once again to celebrate Pride Month and Bike Week with the 2023 Pride Ride! Meet us at Breese Stevens Field where we'll head out on a 9-mile no-drop group ride to Olin Park and back. Stick around after the ride to enjoy some block party vibes at the field before Forward Madison takes on the Central Valley Fuego later that evening.
Events: Save the Date
- Community-wide Garage Sale - Thursday, June 8, 2023, Friday, June 9, 2023, and Saturday, June 10, 2023: The Birchwood Point, 1000 Oaks, Cardinal Glenn, and Cherrywood Neighborhoods are hosting a Community-wide Garage Sale. Have a question? Need directions? Email: BirchwoodOaksNA@gmail.com
- Make Music Madison - Wednesday, June 21, 2023: For the 11th year in a row, the City of Madison will become a stage with hundreds of free live performances throughout the City. Coffee shops, community centers, front porches, public libraries, and park shelters will be jamming will all kinds of music that will make you want to dance! The City is thrilled to be once again supporting this event.
- Beaches and Splash Parks Opening for the Season: As warmer temperatures creep into the Madison area, splash parks and beaches officially open for the season.
- No Streets Division Collections on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29, 2023: There will be no recycling, trash, brush, or large item collections performed by the City of Madison Streets Division on Monday, May 29, 2023, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday.
- Free Summer Metro Bus Pass Program for MMSD Students: For the third year in a row, the City of Madison is giving every Madison Metropolitan School Districts Middle and High School student a free Metro bus pass for the summer. This summer, Metro has made 7,000 passes available to MMSD students.
- New Artist-in-Residence at Central Library: MADISON, WI -- The Bubbler at Madison Public Library is welcoming a new Artist-in-Residence at Central Library.
- Mayor's Purchase Award of Reflected Memories by Christopher Sweet exhibited at new Parks Lakeside Offices: City of Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes Conway selected Reflected Memories by Christopher Sweet for the 2023 Mayor's Purchase Award.
- Summer is the time for sun and fun, but it is also a time for road construction! Learn more about the active road projects happening in your neighborhood and around Madison by visiting the Road Construction webpage on the City of Madison Engineering webpage HERE! Make sure to subscribe to their emails list to receive regular Road Construction Updates!