Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of May 8, 2023
Finance Committee - Monday, May 8, 2023: The Finance Committee meeting will be held in virtual format on Monday, May 8, 2023, at 4:30 PM. Agenda items include amending the 2023 adopted Mayor’s Office Sustainability Improvements Project Capital Budget to accept a grant award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA); and more!
- Madison Arts Commission - Tuesday, May 9, 2023: The Madison Arts Commission will be held virtually on Tuesday, May 9, 2023, at 5:30 PM. Agenda items include the naming of Madison’s next Youth Poet Laureate and more!
- West Area Open House - Wednesday, May 10, 2023: During the West Area Plan kickoff meetings, residents shared questions and comments about a variety of topics and projects other City departments and divisions are working on. As a result, Planning Division staff coordinated a multi-agency open house to bring together residents and staff from various City divisions. The open house is scheduled for Wednesday, May 10, at 6:30 PM. at Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S. Gammon Road. Please join us - Metro service is available on Route 67, and parking is also available. The open house will cover a variety of projects and initiatives.
Events: This Week
- City's First Purpose-Built Shelter Engagement Process Kicks Off - Tuesday, May 9, 2023: The City of Madison invites the community to get involved in the public engagement process for the City's first purpose-built shelter. Please join the City of Madison, Dane County, Porchlight, Inc. (shelter operator), and Dimension IV (architect consultant) at one of the three upcoming public information meetings to learn more about the project, preliminary design concepts, and next steps.
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday, May 10, 2023: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, between the Madison Municipal Building and the City-County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers’ Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- Conservation Park Tour - Wednesday, May 10, 2023: It's our annual wildflower walk! Heritage Sanctuary is known for its robust display of “spring ephemeral” wildflowers. Join conservation staff, enjoy the blooms, and learn about how this habitat came to be. Conservation Park Tours are educational staff-guided walks held at various conservation parks on the 2nd Wednesday, May - October. Event starting times vary, depending on the sunset, and typically last about 90 minutes. Walks are held rain or shine, free to attend, easy-paced, and family-friendly. No registration is required. Most locations do NOT have restrooms. As always, dogs and pets are prohibited in all conservation parks.
- LWVDC Virtual Forum: Equitable and Sustainable Neighborhoods - Thursday, May 11, 2023: Join League of Women Voters of Dane County to learn more about current initiatives and your role in promoting equitable and sustainable communities in Dane County.
- Madison Night Market - Thursday, May 11, 2023: Madison Night Market is a celebration of Madison's unique and inspiring creative culture.
- WPCRC Family Fun Night - Friday, May 12, 2023: WPCRC Family Fun Nights are in partnership with Madison School Community Recreation and offer local families a wide selection of fun activities. Sign your family up today!
Events: Save the Date
Meadowlands and Tree Lane Resource Fairs: Does your organization provide activities, resources, or services that could benefit the children and families living in the Meadowlands and Tree Lane Apartments this summer? Public Health Madison & Dane County is hosting resource fairs at each of these locations in May.
- Meadowlands Apartments – 6810 Milwaukee St., Saturday, May 20, 2023, from 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Tree Lane Family Apartments – 7933 Tree Ln., Wednesday, May 24, 2023, from 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Madison Fair Housing Rental Management Training - Wednesday, May 24, 2023: The Fair Housing Center of Greater Madison is offering a free in-person fair housing training seminar for owners and managers of rental properties or staff operating shelters or residential programs, in Madison on May 24 from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM at the Madison Public Library Central Branch, 201 W. Mifflin St, Room 302. To register for this seminar, visit https://tinyurl.com/FHTrainingMadison or call 608-257-0853.
- Fire OPS 101 - Wednesday, May 24, 2023: Join us for Fire OPS 101 and experience a day in the life of a firefighter! Fire OPS is a program that allows community leaders and elected officials to experience a day in the life of a firefighter. You will dress in turnout gear and participate in realistic scenarios that we face on a day-to-day basis. The scenarios will include fire attack, search and rescue, vehicle extrication, and emergency medical services.
- The Run Madtown Twilight 5K - Saturday, May 27, 2023, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- The Run Madtown Half Marathon & 10K - Sunday, May 28, 2023, 6:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- Madison Bike Week - Saturday, June 3, 2023 - Saturday, June 10, 2023: Madison Bikes are thrilled to invite you to be part of Madison Bike Week 2023. For more information, visit https://www.madisonbikes.org/events/bikeweek.
- Make Music Madison - Wednesday, June 21, 2023: For the 11th year in a row, the City of Madison will become a stage with hundreds of free live performances throughout the City.
- Joint Statement by Madison Mayor and Alders Related to Recent Racist Video: On Monday, a video of a UW-Madison student engaging in racist language targeting Black students on campus became public and went viral.
- Lower Badger Mill Creek Pond Construction Project Begins: Construction work on the project is scheduled to start the week of May 8, 2023. The limits of the project are confined to City-owned property located at 1661 Meadow Road, 1524 Feather Edge Drive, and 10002 Treetops Drive, as well as within public street right-of-way on Meadow Road. Work will include excavation of stormwater ponds and channels, construction of access paths, and construction of a bridge. The contractor performing the work is Integrity Grading and Excavation, Inc. Construction activities are anticipated to finish by the end of August. For additional information about the project, please get in touch with the project engineer Matt Allie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Don’t Miss Your Final Spring Yard Waste Collection: The Streets Division is wrapping up the spring yard waste collection. For certain neighborhoods, the final set out for spring yard waste collection is this coming up Sunday, May 7, 2023.
- Seeking people to join Community Policing Advisory Boards to build trust and legitimacy: The Madison Police Department is recruiting individuals now through May 26, 2023, to serve on Community Policing Advisory Boards (CPABs) in each of Madison’s six police districts (cityofmadison.com/police/districts)
- Mow Two Times this Low Mow May 2023: The City invites the community to support its pollinators and green spaces by mowing less and joining in its Low Mow May 2023 efforts.
- REMINDER: Dane CORE 2.0 Rental Assistance Program Applications to Close May 31: Dane County and the City of Madison want to remind residents that the Dane COronavirus REntal program (CORE 2.0), funded by the Federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program through the U.S.