Alder Yannette Figueroa Cole
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Figueroa Cole’s Updates
Meetings & Events
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of August 15, 2022
- The Common Council will not meet again until September 6, but many other committees meet this week, including the Landmarks Commission, Urban Design Commission, Board of Public Works and the Alcohol License Review Committee. To see the full list of City meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City meeting schedule.
- The next in-person public information meeting regarding the Town of Madison Attachment is scheduled for 6:00pm, August 18, 2022 at Arbor Covenant Church at 2509 McDivitt Road in Madison. Come to meet City of Madison staff and learn about the Town of Madison attachment. The meeting will have interpreters in Spanish. Free food and childcare will be provided. Learn more here.
- Parks Alive is a collaborative effort across multiple City departments and involves many community-based stakeholders and mobile resources. This is a great opportunity to come out to local parks, build community, strengthen relationships, and have fun!
Monday, August 15
4:30pm – 7:30pm
More information here
Wednesday, August 17
4:30pm – 8:45pm
Movie: Brother Bear
More information here
Check out the Parks Division Event Calendar for more fun activities in parks around Madison.
- Madison Public Library Is Hosting Storytelling Events for Kids. From August 8 to August 20 across different libraries, the Madison Public Library We Read program is offering a chance to share stories in a unique way. For two weeks, each library will have workshops and/or self-directed activities for kids and families to enjoy. Activities include Bubbler-led making opportunities like creating your own digital comic or making a stop-motion animated video using iMovie. Bubbler Media Instructor Rob Franklin (Rob Dz) will also lead interactive spoken word poetry workshops and Alexis Dean, the Bubbler in the Neighborhood artist at Meadowridge Library, will lead a poetry-inspired storytelling session, as well. See this link for dates and times for each library and what activities are at which library.
- Dane Dances! 2022 "A Season of Celebration" Dane Dances! is a family-friendly event on the stunning Monona Terrace rooftop EVERY FRIDAY EVENING IN AUGUST. The much-anticipated summer music series is a great way to get down and dance with your friends, coworkers, or family. The rooftop gets shaking as the sun sets against the iconic Wisconsin State Capitol with the breeze of Lake Monona at your back while you dance. Feel free to bring a blanket, chair, and picnic basket; seating on the rooftop is limited. Sorry, carry-in alcohol is prohibited. Dane Dances! promotes inclusivity with a fun night of music and dancing to music and bands for all ages.
- On Monday, August 15, John Nolen Drive will see a section of roadway, from North Shore Drive to East Lakeside Street, reduced to 35 mph from 45 mph as part of the 2022 roadway improvements for the Vision Zero Initiative. Learn more here, including the additional streets scheduled for speed limit reductions in 2022.
- Metro Transit's supplemental school bus schedules for 2022-23 are now available online. Plan your student's bus trip to/from school on Google Maps or call us at 608-266-4466 for help.
- Streets Division Updates
- The curbside brush collection is winding down for 2022. Before you put the brush out for pickup, check to see when the next collection will be for your home. The brush schedule can be found at www.cityofmadison.com/BrushCollection
- Did your trash & recycling date change? If you live on the west side, it might have changed on August 1, 2022. Get your collection calendar at www.cityofmadison.com/CollecionSchedule
- Do you have a question about the new Resource Recovery Special Charge? If you do, head over to www.cityofmadison.com/Recycling and check out the Resource Recovery Special Charge page for an extensive FAQ about this new charge.
- Be a Volunteer Fall Food Cart Reviewer! The annual Food Cart Review will run from September 12 - October 8, 2022, and you can apply to be one of the reviewers! This review will determine which food carts will be allowed to vend in Downtown Madison from April 15, 2023 - April 14, 2024. The application deadline is Friday, August 19 at 4p. You will be notified if you have been accepted as a reviewer by August 25th. Reviewers are required to visit at minimum 80% of the food carts in the review. In 2019 we had 59 carts participate. During the Review, you must be available 3-4 of Saturdays between 9a-1p and be able to get Downtown during the week over the lunch hour (11a-2p). All Reviewers are required to take mandatory virtual training on Tuesday, August 30, from 6p-7p. A love for food, small businesses and the vibrancy of our city is a plus! Click here to apply.
Email to a friend