Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of May 1, 2023
Common Council: The Common Council meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 2, 2023 in hybrid format at 6:30 PM. Agenda items include proclaiming May 2023 to be Jewish American Heritage Month and recognizing May 2023 as Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage Month in the City of Madison. Other agenda items include authorizing the use of up to $123,000 of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds to implement a neighborhood improvement project identified in the South Madison Neighborhood Plan; and amending Section 33.09(3) of the Madison General Ordinances to combine the City-County Homeless Issues Committee, Landlord and Tenant Issues Committee.
Open House for West Area Plan/Jornada Abierta para los Proyectos y Planes Futuros en el Área Oeste: The City of Madison Planning Division is announced an Open House for upcoming plans, projects, and initiatives in the West Area. The Open House will be held Wednesday, May 10th at 6:30 p.m. at Lussier Community Education Center, 55 South Gammon Road. During the Open House, residents will hear brief overviews of several projects and initiatives from City staff and then have an opportunity to ask questions and give feedback on topics they are interested in.
Board of Public Works: The Board of Public Works will take place on Tuesday, May 3, 2023 in virtual format at 4:30 PM. Agenda items include amending the City of Madison Official Map to establish mapped reservations for future Streets and Highways in the City of Madison consistent with recommendations in the adopted the Greater East Towne Area Plan.
MPD Releases 2023-2028 Strategic Plan PDF PDF : The Madison Police Department Strategic Plan describes priorities, actions, and expected outcomes for each of four strategic goals: (1) Madison-Centric Policing, (2) Public Communication, (3) Youth Engagement, and (4) Workplace Culture and associated priorities included in this plan.
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday Market, Wednesday, May 3, 2023 : The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in between the Madison Municipal Building and the City County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers’ Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- West Side Community Market - Saturdays 7 am to 12:30 pm from April 15 – November 4, 2023, located at 505 S. Rosa Rd (in Research Park).
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday Market, Wednesday, May 3, 2023: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in between the Madison Municipal Building and the City County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers’ Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- Wright Design Series: People Are My Medium, Wednesday, May 3, 2023: Joe Dreher considers himself a social artist, producing work mainly described as installation art. He uses a number of tools and mediums to create his work including photography, murals, street art, wheat paste, painting, sculpture, architecture, and poetry.
This free lecture is presented in partnership with American Institute of Architects Wisconsin. This is a virtual event - (Register in advance for the live webinar): https://mononaterrace.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qr-SXTfMTSeWYAIDmoSKLQ...
- Strategies to Prevent Basement Flooding, Thursday, May 4, 2023: Ever had water in your basement? Whether it’s a reoccurring issue or has only happened during extreme weather conditions, in most cases, it can be avoided. With some planning, a few rules and basic landscaping tools, most homeowners can address this problem on their own. Sponsored by MG&E.
- SpringFest Arts & Crafts Fair, Saturday, May 6, 2023: Join us for the 18th annual SpringFest Arts & Crafts Fair. Over 80 crafters from the Midwest will be selling their handmade goods. You can expect to see a variety of jewelry, baskets, garden art, cards, pottery, woodwork, baby gifts, soaps, balms, lotions, knitwear, paintings, home décor and more! It's the perfect place to find a unique gift for that special someone (or for yourself).
Save the Date!
- The Run Madtown Twilight 5K will be held on Saturday May 27th from 6:30pm – 8:30pm
- The Run Madtown Half Marathon & 10K will be held on Sunday May 28th from 6:30am –11:00am
- Urban Forestry Spring Planting Adds Trees to Long Vacant Planting Sites: The City of Madison Streets Division’s Urban Forestry section plants thousands of trees each year in the right of way space along the road edge.
- Get Involved: City’s First Purpose-Built Shelter Engagement Process Kicks Off: The City of Madison invites the community to get involved in the public engagement process for the City’s first, purpose-built shelter.
- Peak Hour Lane Closure--West Johnson Street: Beginning Friday, April 28 at 7:00 a.m. JH Findorff will be reducing the 300 block of West Johnson Street to two lanes at all times (N Broom Street to State Street).
- Open House for Upcoming Plans in West Area: The City of Madison Planning Division is excited to announce an Open House for upcoming plans, projects, and initiatives in the West Area.
- Street Closure--North Bassett Street: Starting Monday, May 1 at 7:00 a.m.
- Madison Parks Foundation Unveils Dog Park Memorial Art Sculpture: The Madison Parks Foundation is excited to announce the unveiling of a new tribute & memorial sculpture in Quann Park off-leash dog park!
- Accessible Taxi Grants Will Help Fill Transit Gaps: People who use wheelchairs face barriers to daily living activities, social outings, and fully participating in what the City has to offer, because of inadequate accessible transportation options.
- Madison Public Library Celebrates National Library Week: From April 23-29, Madison Public Library is celebrating National Library Week online and at all library locations.
- Jornada Abierta para los Proyectos y Planes Futuros en el Área Oeste: The City of Madison Planning Division is excited to announce an Open House for upcoming plans, projects, and initiatives in the West Area.
- The Madison Common Council Welcomes the 2023-2025 Cohort of Alders Serving the 20 Districts of the City of Madison: (MADISON, WI) The Common Council Office is proud to introduce the 2023-2025 cohort of alders representing the 20 districts that make up the City of Madison.