Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Mask Up, August Election, Criminal Justice Reform - D15 Update 7/13/20
Mask Up Madison - Public Health Madison & Dane County issued an order last week requiring face coverings inside buildings and buses. You can find more information on the order here and anyone that needs a mask can request one here. This is a common sense requirement to slow the spread of COVID and I'm grateful that the order was issued.
Partisan Primary Election August 11 - The primary election for state offices will be on Tuesday, August 11. The Cap Times held candidate forums for the senate and assembly races that cover the majority of District 15. You can find the assembly forum here (currently Rep. Sargent) and the senate forum here (currently Sen. Miller). Anyone wanting to request an absentee ballot should do so soon. Info from the Clerk's office on absentee voting can be found here.
Dane County Jail Project - In the context of turning a critical eye to our current law enforcement and criminal justice systems, County Supervisor Elizabeth Doyle has introduced a resolution to address systemic racism in the Dane County criminal justice system. The resolution calls for an immediate halt to the planning, design, architecture, and construction of a new jail facility along with a number of other items. The $150M jail project that was previously approved calls for the construction of a new facility with 922 beds. The current jail population is currently just under 550 and has been as low as 450. You can read the resolution here and see additional information from the sponsor here. This is a very important resolution and I encourage you to learn more about it and contact your county supervisor with questions and opinions. Link to find your supervisor below.
Criminal Justice System Reform - Several public bodies will take up policing issues this week. Click on the links below to see more details and for links to watch and participate in the discussions:
- Police & Fire Commission - Feedback and discussion on hiring of new police chief
- Alder Workgroup to Develop Logistics & Operational Details For MPD Independent Civilian Oversight - Working on drafting ordinances to create the Civilian Oversight Board and Independent Monitor
- Body-Worn Camera Feasibility Review Committee - Developing a recommendation related to body-worn cameras
- Public Safety Review Committee Budget Workgroup - Police budget discussion
- Public Safety Review Committee Subcommittee on Madison Police Department Policies - Review of MPD Standard Operating Procedures
Common Council - You can find the full agenda and links to register your comments here. Some items of potential interest to D15 residents include:
- 96 & 96 - Vision Zero project list and resolution
- 99, 100 & 118 - Three legislative items introduced for referral related to use of tear gas, mace, and other crowd-control practices
- 110 - Terminating the SRO contract with MMSD
Alcohol Licenses - You can find the full agenda and links to register your comments here. D15 items include:
- 22 - Garver Events - Garver Events is asking to modify it's alcohol license conditions to allow for amplified sound on their north patio.
- 27 - The Boneyard - This is a new proposed dog park/bar in the Burke Heights neighborhood.
Taxes Due! - Don't forget to file your federal and state taxes by Wednesday, 7/15.
Other city meetings: There are a number of other city meetings of possible interest this week: https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend