Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
CGR Proposal, Body-worn Cameras, Full-time Council - D15 Update 10/5/20
- The Transportation Policy & Planning Board and the Transportation Commission received a presentation on the Metro Transit Network Redesign Project at their joint meeting last week. This work is just beginning and will ultimately result in a proposal for a new Metro network by the end of next year. You can watch the presentation here to get a good overview of the process and approach that will be taken.
- The Common Council Executive Committee voted to recommend the slate of proposed appointments for the Police Civilian Oversight Board. These appointments are on the agenda at this week's Common Council for approval (see below).
- Other city updates:
- Reimagining Public Safety - Progress and Budget Priorities - The mayor provides her perspective on several initiatives and budget priorities related to public safety. This Cap Times Ideafest panel discussion moderated by former MPD Chief Noble Wray with panelists Captain Chaney Austin, Anthony Cooper, and Mayor Rhodes-Conway entitled Beyond the protests, the future of Madison policing may also be of interest.
- New leaf and yard waste collection schedule now available – read here. Visit the Streets Division website, enter your address, and see the days when you should set out leaves for pickup.
- Beginning the week of October 5, the hours for the Alliant Energy Center COVID-19 community test site will change – read here.
- Food Scraps Recycling at Drop-off Sites Ending October 2 - Food scraps recycling at the Streets Division drop-off sites has ended for the year. The drop-off program will restart in 2021.
- The City of Madison Clerk's Office would like voters to know the answers to the ten most frequently asked questions they receive regarding voter ID – read here.
- Walk-tober Promotes Health, Safety and Fun The City of Madison is promoting a new event, Walk-tober, to motivate people to get out and walk for transportation and for health during the month of October.
- Cottage Grove Road Redevelopment Proposal back at Plan Commission - As I shared in my blog post on Saturday, the proposal to demolish three building on Cottage Grove Road and replace with two new buildings will be back in front of the Plan Commission on Monday. You can find the details about the updated proposal and how to provide feedback here. In addition to this item, Item #5 on the agenda relates to the city's acquisition of a property on Milwaukee Street to expand OB Sherry park, and Item #9 will consider granting conditional use approval for the BoneYard Dog Park & Brews on Walsh Road that received approval for its liquor license previously.
- Electric Vehicle Ready Infrastructure - The Sustainable Madison Committee will be discussing a proposed amendment to institute EV ready and EV capable requirements for future parking structures at their meeting on October 5. Find the meeting details online here.
- Common Council meets on Tuesday and among other items will consider:
- 16. Police Civilian Oversight Board Appointments
- 65. Prohibiting the use of tear gas as of February 2, 2021, and requesting a study of alternatives by the Madison Police Department.
- A number of items are being introduced at this meeting and will be taken up for decision at future meetings. I will provide more information on many of these in the future, but those with particular interest may want to follow the items as they are referred to the city's boards, committees, and commissions for review. These items include:
- 73. 62409 Creating Section 4.33 of the Madison General Ordinances to establish a Small Business Equity and Recovery COVID Grant Program Ordinance.
- 76. 62416 To suspend the issuance of Camp Randall High Density Vending Licenses under sec. 9.13(7) and Football Game Day site assignments under sec. 9.13(11) for public health reasons due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, for the 2020-2021 street vending season and UW football season.
- 77. 62417 Repeal and recreate Section 23.20 and amending Section 1.08(3)(a) of the Madison General Ordinances to update regulations concerning cannabis and revise bail deposits for violations thereof.
- 80. 62435 Creating Section 28.022 - 00477 of the Madison General Ordinances to change the zoning of property located at 4502 Milwaukee Street, 15th Aldermanic District, from SR-V2 (Suburban Residential-Varied 2) District to CC-T (Commercial Corridor-Transitional) District.
- 81. 62436 Amending portions of Madison General Ordinance 28.061 to allow Mission House as a Permitted/Conditional Use in the CC and CC-T Districts and amending Madison General Ordinance 28.151 to require that mission houses operating as permitted use must receive funding from and enter into a service delivery contract with the City of Madison.
- 89. 62384 Authorizing the City to Enter into an Amendment to the Town of Blooming Grove and City of Madison Cooperative Plan.
- 103. 62322 2021 Executive Operating Budget
- The Body-Worn Camera Feasibility Review Committee will be receiving presentations from the DA's Office, the Public Defender's Office, and NAMI of Dane County about body-worn cameras at their meeting on October 8. Find the meeting details online here.
- Common Council to Discuss Possible Changes to Council Structure - There will be a special Committee of the Whole meeting of the Common Council on October 8 to discuss the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Task Force on the Structure of City Government (TFOGS) regarding the structure of the Common Council. This discussion will focus on the recommendations to move to a smaller, full-time council with 4-year terms. Find the meeting details online here
- Pop-up Wheel Spot at Sycamore Park: Kids pop-up bike playground at the Sycamore Park basketball court this Sunday Oct 11. Hosted by Friends of Sycamore Park.
- Other city meetings: There are a number of other city meetings of possible interest this week and you can find a full schedule here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule
Save the Date
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at email@example.com.
Email to a friend