Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Census Info, Homeless Issues, ECA Elections - D15 Update 5/3/21
2020 census results
Initial U.S. census numbers were released last week and show that Wisconsin's population has increased by 3.6% over the last decade (less than half the national population increase of 7.4%). Based on these updated numbers, several states lost and gained seats in the House of Representatives while Wisconsin keeps our current 8 seats.
More detailed local data will be released later this summer and will inform our local redistricting process for alder and supervisor districts.
Traffic Calming for Milo Lane
On Wednesday of last week the Transportation Commission voted 5-4 against recommending traffic calming for Milo Lane. Improvements for Swanton Road were previously approved and work is expected this summer.
Want to be fully vaccinated in just two weeks? Public Health Madison & Dane County is once again offering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at Alliant Energy Center. Since you only need one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, there's no return visit needed, and you're fully vaccinated two weeks following your shot. Appointments at the Alliant Energy Center are recommended but not required. Book an appointment or drop in during clinic hours.
Prefer to get a vaccine other than Johnson & Johnson? Need Pfizer vaccine for a 16- or 17-year old? You can choose which vaccine you want if you schedule an appointment.
In the news:
- New Dane County Public Health Order Released
- On April 29, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced that on May 12, 2021, eligible households will be able to apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit. Read more here and here.
- Want to help equity in bicycling? The JUST Bikes Coalition invites individuals and organizations that would like to contribute to local, neighborhood-based efforts to support equity in active transportation, with a special focus on safe and comfortable access to bicycling. Learn more here or call 414-242-7064.
- Madison International Partners offers free citizenship classes on Tuesdays from 5pm-6:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-10:30am. Register here.
- Madison Commons, Media Digest
Homeless Issues budget recommendation listening session
Permanent men's shelter budget amendment
On Tuesday, the Common Council will take up the proposed budget amendment to move forward with the purchase of the former Savers building on Zeier Road for use as a permanent men's shelter. I'm a cosponsor of this proposal and support moving forward with this critical service. You can find links to the agenda and to register on this or any other item here.
Library reopening plan
On Thursday, the Madison Public Library Board will consider an updated reopening plan that would reopen libraries for many services beginning May 24. You can find more information on the proposal here and a link to the full agenda and registration here.
Eastmorland Community Association board election
The election for ECA board members will happen online this year. The election will open May 4 and close during the May 11 meeting. You can access a ballot via this link. Parks staff will also be in attendance at the May 11 meeting to discuss the concerns with amplified sound at the new Olbrich shelter. You can find more info for this meeting here and a link to the agenda here.
Other city meetings
There are a number of city meetings not highlighted in this update. You can find a full schedule of city meetings here.
Save the date
- Metro Transit is holding a BRT Spring Public Meeting where staff will give updates on the BRT project, including updates on east and west terminals, station configurations at select intersections, and the status of the station design competition. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11, 6pm-7:30pm. Register for the meeting here.
- Make Music Madison - June 21 (Deadline for New Registrations – Midnight on Tuesday, May 25th) More info at https://www.makemusicmadison.org/
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend