Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Environmental Justice, Metro Redesign, Coldspring Gates - D15 Update 7/18/21
President's Work Group on Environmental Justice
I am a member of a new work group that is charged with providing the Common Council with policy recommendations on how to mitigate the impacts of PFAS and F-35s on existing and future developments and to create a PFAS outreach strategy and a plan for the City's role in addressing these environmental issues. Our first meeting will be Monday at 10:30 am. You can find a link to the meeting agenda and to register for comment or to watch the meeting here.
Stop Line 3 Press Conference & Caravan Send-off
Another major environmental justice issue in our region is the expansion of tar sands oil pipelines via Enbridge's Line 3 & Line 5. There will be a press conference to stand against these devastating projects at Brittingham Park on Monday at noon. I am also cosponsoring a resolution that stands in solidarity with the Ojibwe and calls for a halt to construction of these destructive projects that will be on Tuesday's Common Council agenda. You can find more details about Monday's press conference here & a link to the resolution here.
Joint Meeting of the Transportation Policy and Planning Board and Transportation Commission
On Monday at 5pm, the Transportation Policy and Planning Board and Transportation Commission will hold a joint meeting to discuss several important items including review of the Metro Transit Network Redesign Alternatives Report and the final report of the Traffic Calming Subcommittee. You can find all the details here.
LENA Monthly Meeting
Also on Monday, beginning at 6:30 pm at Lake Edge Park, the Lake Edge Neighborhood Association will hold its monthly meeting. Agenda items include a discussion about the new "large item" trash collection with Streets Superintendent, Charles Romine, and action on a request from neighbors to open the gates at Coldspring & Winnequah for the summer to offset the traffic blocked by construction on Dean. If you are unable to attend the meeting, but would like to provide feedback on the gate opening, please send me an email.
Metro Transit - New Fare Technology and Policies
On Wednesday at 6pm, there will be a virtual meeting to introduce and discuss ideas for improving how fares are collected on Metro buses. You can find more details and register for the meeting here.
Alcohol License Review Committee
Also on Wednesday, the ALRC will consider a request to extend premises outside to include a patio area at Chief's Tavern. This would continue the use of the patio area that was previously approved as part of the Streatery program. You can find a link to the application here.
Also on the agenda is the revocation of the alcohol license for Jo Beck's bar. This is a formality at this point, since the business has already closed and is under new management as the Dive Inn.
You can find the details and register to speak here.
Update on Starkweather Dr./Garver Path
I continue to get questions about the project reconstructing Starkweather Drive and the new Garver Path, including the bridge work over Starkweather Creek. You can find information about the project here and sign up for email notifications for project updates.
Cottage Grove Road Development Halted
I was informed by the development team that had proposed a redevelopment project for the properties at 109 & 203 Cottage Grove Road that they were unable to finalize the purchase of the shopping center and will not be proceeding with the project at this time. They did acquire the corner lot (muffler shop and old Jade Monkey) and may propose a standalone project for that site at some point in the future.
Dean House Back Porch Concert & Tour
The next Dean House Back Porch Concert is on July 22nd at 7 pm and the next Historic Dean House Tour is on Sunday July 25th at 2:15 and 3:15 pm. You can find a link to the events calendar here.
In the news
- Recruitment for the new Independent Police Monitor position is underway and applications close on Sunday, August 1, 2021 - Find the details here.
- Work Orders Required for Large Item Collection - The Street Division would like to remind residents that if you need large item collection, you must schedule the curbside pickup in advance by using the new large item work order system.
- American Rescue Plan Act Allocation Information Sessions Scheduled for July 22nd and July 27th - The City has launched a new webpage for the American Rescue Plan Act to provide information about the planned allocation of federal funds to support an equitable recovery and continue to provide government services. The City will host two information sessions to share information about the annual budget process and address funding allocations outlined in the plan. The information sessions will take place on July 22nd (4:30-6:30pm) and July 27th (4:00-5:00pm). The sessions will be recorded and posted to the webpage.
- Madison Commons, Media Digest
Other city meetings
There are a number of city meetings not highlighted in this update. You can find a full schedule of city meetings here.
Save the date
- July 29 - ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm
- July 29 - Dean House Back Porch Concert - Thursdays at 7p - Details here
- August 5 - Ice Cream Social 5:30-7:00 & Dean House Back Porch Concert at 7p - Details here
- August 8 - Lake Edge Neighborhood Picnic - we need volunteers to help set up, take down, grill food, pick up food, bring ice, solicit a few door prizes, etc., etc., etc. Please email us back if you can spare an hour or two to help out (thanks for considering!). ALSO: if you have a business that is willing to donate a gift or gift card as a door prize we will be ever so grateful.
- August 19 - Eastmorland Farmers/Makers Market (learn more and fill out a vendor interest form here) at Lansing Food Forest (time TBA)
- August 26 - ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend