Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Shots Fired, Dog Survey, Golf Update - D15 Update 7/27/20
Shots fired on Allis - There was another report of shots fired in District 15 this weekend, this time in the 4900 block of Allis Avenue. Additional details about the incident can be found here. There were no reported injuries or property damage with this incident. MPD is asking anyone with information to contact Madison Area Crime Stoppers.
This most recent incident adds to what has been a disturbing frequency of gun activity across the city over the last month. While the majority of the shots fired incidents have not resulted in death or injury, an incident on Saturday did result in the loss of a life on the west side.
Gun violence in our neighborhoods is deeply concerning and unsettling and it's also very difficult to address. These incidents are under active investigation by MPD, but it is often difficult to identify the parties responsible and to secure evidence needed for arrest and prosecution. Preventing these types of incidents from happening in the future is even more difficult and will require significant changes to our state and federal gun laws as well as a reckoning with a history and culture deeply rooted in gun violence.
Among the most promising actions that we can take as a community is to invest in violence prevention work like the Becoming a Man program and the Focused Interruption Coalition. These sorts of investments take time to show results and may not feel like an answer at all in the near-term, but the reality is that there are no quick solutions and there is no simple answer. These issues are not created by a lack of investment in policing and will not be solved by investing in more policing.
- New Metro Transit Schedule - The Transportation Commission voted to approve the proposed Metro changes that will take effect on 8/23. These changes represent an increase in services, but continue the overall reduction of service that have been in place since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. You can find the changes here.
- Stop Signs on Spaanem - The Transportaion Commission also directed staff to prepare a recommendation for traffic control/calming that would take into account the other parallel streets in order to ensure that problematic behavior is not simply shifted to other streets. This proposal will be back in front of the TC at a future meeting TBD.
- Golf Task Force - You can find an article summarizing last week's meeting here and a link to watch the meeting here. The task force will meet for possibly the final time this week (see below). Recommendations from the task force will be forwarded to the Common Council for deliberation and decisions.
- Proposed Dog Park Update - In February of this year, a proposal to add an off-leash dog exercise area at either Eastmorland or O.B. Sherry Parks was released by Parks. A public meeting to share the proposal and get feedback from area residents was scheduled for March but was cancelled due to COVID-19. In light of the continued restrictions around public gathering, Parks staff have instead created an online informational presentation and survey in order to get feedback from the public. You can find a link to both the presentation and survey here. The survey will be open until September 26th. Please take a moment to review the presentation and proposals and share your feedback via the survey. This feedback along with comments already received will be used to determine whether either of the proposals moves forward for continued consideration.
In-Person Absentee Voting Begins Tuesday - City of Madison voters may cast absentee ballots at drive-up voting locations beginning Tuesday, July 28. More details here.
- Task Force on Municipal Golf in Madison Parks - The task force will meet again this week for what may be the last time. Their recommendations will be forwarded on to the Common Council for deliberation and decision. You can register for public comment and to watch the meeting here. So far the task force has not recommended a closure of Monona golf course.
- Criminal Justice Reform - For those interested in participating in criminal justice reform there are opportunities at the city and county this week.
- Alder Workgroup to Develop Logistics & Operational Details For MPD Independent Civilian Oversight - Working on a draft ordinance to create the Civilian Oversight Board and Independent Monitor. Meets Monday and Wednesday this week.
- Public Safety Review Committee Policy Subcommittee - Review of SOPs.
- Public Safety Review Committee Budget Subcommittee - Discussion on budget and staffing.
- Body-Worn Camera Feasibility Review Committee
- Dane County Criminal Justice Council - Racial Disparities Sub Committee
- Other city meetings: There are a number of other city meetings of possible interest this week: https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend