Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Civilian Oversight & Independent Monitor, Municipal Golf Final Report - D15 Update 8/31/20
- The proposal to create an Office of the Independent Police Monitor and the Police Civilian Oversight Board was reviewed by the Public Safety Review Committee (PSRC) and the Common Council Executive Committee (CCEC) last week. At CCEC, 899 people registered in support of the proposal and 44 registered in opposition. I strongly support this proposal that was a cornerstone recommendation of the Madison Police Department Policy and Procedure Ad Hoc Committee Releases Final Report. The proposal will be on this week's Common Council agenda for a final vote and anyone wanting to register in support or opposition can do so here (agenda item #86). Anyone wanting to send comments to the Common Council can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Many neighbors attended the Swanton Road Traffic Calming meeting last week and provided feedback for staff on the proposed interventions. Many in attendance also advocated for traffic calming interventions for Milo & Easley to be considered along with any changes to Swanton Road. Staff will continue to work on the recommendations and will bring them to the Transportation Commission in December. I will share more details ahead of that meeting and neighbors are encouraged to provide feedback at that time.
- The survey for feedback on a proposed off-leash dog exercise area for O.B Sherry or Eastmorland Park can be found here. The survey will be open until September 26th.
- September 1, Metro starts collecting fares again, board buses at the front – read more details here.
- The Dane County Criminal Justice Council in collaboration with NAMI Dane County is hosting a community educational event on triage centers and the crisis-care-continuum on September 1, at 5pm. Members of the public will be able to ask questions – register here.
- Common Council Meeting - You can find meeting details including a link to the agenda and a link to register for public comment here. Some items of interest to D15 residents include:
- 5 - Approval of a new alcohol license for the Boneyard in Burke Heights is recommended by the Alcohol License Review Committee. I support this recommendation.
- 86 - An Ordinance creating Sections 5.19 and 5.20 of the Madison General Ordinances establishing the Office of the Independent Police Monitor and the Police Civilian Oversight Board. You can find the report behind this ordinance here. I support this ordinance.
- 155 - Accepting the final report and recommendations from the Task Force on Municipal Golf in Madison Parks. The task force completed its work and issued its final report that is being introduced at this week's Common Council meeting. The report will be referred to the Board of Park Commissioners for their Wednesday meeting before returning to the Common Council. Recommendations from the report include the following: 1. The City should provide Municipal Golf in Madison Parks. 2. The City should remove the enterprise fund designation from its golf course. 4. The City should issue a Request for Proposals to evaluate the option of a private or non-profit operator for Monona and establish a plan and timeline to eliminate eighteen holes at Yahara Hills. 10. The City should not sell park land to fund capital improvements of the golf courses.
- 158 - 2021 Executive Capital Budget - This is not yet available for review, but is expected to be released on Tuesday. This will be taken up by Finance and will be debated and voted on in November. You can find all 2021 budget related documents here.
- Community conversation on hiring police chief - On Wednesday, the Police and Fire Commission is hosting a virtual community conversation with the help of the Local Voices Network. Participants must pre-register at https://lvn.org/PFC. You can find more information about the hiring process in this Press Release on Police Chief Search.
- Board of Park Commissioners - On Wednesday the board will take up a number of items including the REPORT OF THE TASK FORCE ON MUNICIPAL GOLF IN MADISON PARKS. You can see the full agenda and register to speak here.
- Other city meetings: There are a number of other city meetings of possible interest this week and you can find a full schedule here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule
Save the Date
- The public hearing for the Demolition and Redevelopment proposal for Cottage Grove Road/Monona will be at the Plan Commission meeting of 9/14/20. I will provide more info on this proposal prior to this meeting.
- This year's HOME COMPOST BIN & RAIN BARREL SALE will be at Garver Feed Mill on 10/10.
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at email@example.com.
Email to a friend