Council Vice President
Alder Jael Currie,
Council Vice President
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Currie’s Updates
Dairy Drive Campground Virtual Meeting Recording, Save the Date for GNA Plus Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of 10/11/21
Greetings friends and neighbors,
A recording of the October 6th meeting held to share more information about the development of a sheltered campground located at 3202 Dairy Drive is now available for viewing. Please view it here.
The Glendale Neighborhood Association will be holding its Fall 2021 Neighborhood Association Meeting on Wednesday, October 20th at Unity of Madison (601 Tompkins) from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Their featured speaker will be a representative from Public Health Madison Dane County (PHMDC) who will discuss COVID-19 policy in Madison and Dane County in large. Also in attendance will be Neighborhood Officer Howard Payne from MPD - East District, Alder Grant Foster (District 15), and myself to provide updates and answer any questions that you may have. Please remember that we will be following all PHMDC indoor meeting requirements. Masks will be required to be worn properly at all times and we ask that you observe social distancing within the Unity of Madison sanctuary.
Last week Mayor Rhodes-Conway released her Executive Operating Budget. You can view her blog that was published the day of her press release here. Budget hearings (with department/division lead staff) started yesterday evening, before the Finance Committee, and will continue this evening. Meeting details and agenda for the budget hearings can be found below.
Have a great rest of the week!
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of October 11, 2021
2022 Executive Operating Budget
The Finance Committee will be discussing the 2022 Executive Operating Budget at its meetings on Monday and Tuesday.
***For additional information about additional meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City Meeting Schedule online here
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
- The Overture Center for the Arts is seeking participants to honor loved ones who have passed by making an altar box. The Community Altar will be displayed at Overture Rotunda Gallery, October 28 through November 14. This participatory project draws on the Day of the Dead altar-making traditions in Mexico and remembrance traditions worldwide. All are welcome to participate. You will receive the box from Overture, create the memorial altar and return it back to Overture by October 27 to be part of the Community Altar. You can make an altar in whatever way feels meaningful to you. It can be done as an individual or as a group, drawing from a specific tradition or something completely expressive. You will receive the altar back after November 14. If you are interested in participating, please reserve an altar box here. Please reach out with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or head to the website.
- Amigo Construction is hosting a career fair and open house in partnership with the Latino Academy of Workforce Development. The event is set for Thursday, October 14, 2021, from 4:00 P.M. until 6:00 p.m. at Amigo Construction, 404 England Street, Cambridge, WI 53523. Hiring managers will be at the location to conduct interviews. Women are encouraged to explore options in a career in construction.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
- Face Covering Emergency Order #3 goes into effect on October 8, 2021 at 12:01am. See Face Covering Emergency Order #3 and the Public Health news release for details. This order will be in effect until November 5, 2021. No changes were made to the face covering requirements in Order #3. Face coverings are required among people ages two and older when in any enclosed space open to the public where other people, except for members of the person's own household or living unit, are present. Face coverings are also required while driving or riding in any form of public transportation.
- Fall yard waste collection begins the week of October 10. You can get the dates when you should set out your yard waste by entering your address into the form found here. Full details can be found here.
- The City of Madison's Community Development Division has reopened the application process for all Rehabilitation Loan Programs. The application process had been forced to close temporarily in March 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions, and staff are excited to begin working again with property owners in Madison to assist them with rehabilitation needs. To find more information about Madison Rehabilitation Loan Programs, please visit the Community Development Division's website. Questions about the loan program can be sent to email@example.com or by phone at 608-266-4719.
- Beginning on Tuesday, October 12, Public Health Madison & Dane County will open a new, temporary vaccination clinic at the Arena building at the Alliant Energy Center. The site will provide first and second vaccine doses for anyone 12 and older as well as booster doses for those who are eligible. Read more here.
- The next opportunity for the community to learn more about the Town of Madison Attachment is scheduled for 5 p.m., Oct. 14, 2021, at Penn Park Shelter, 2101 Fisher Street. Read more here.
- Beginning Monday, October 11, the City of Madison will move to the next location of speed changes supporting the Vision Zero initiative. The posted speed limit on the .7 mile stretch of North Thompson Drive, from Sycamore to Hwy 30, will change from 30 mph to 25 mph. Temporary digital signboards are present in the areas to remind drivers of the speed limit changes. Read more here.
Save the Date
- Join Focused Interruption Founder and CEO Anthony Cooper Sr as he hosts David Muhammed, Executive Director of the National Institute for Criminal Justice Reform, for a conversation about the Gun Violence Reduction Strategy, which has reduced gun violence by up to 60% in cities across the country since 1996. "Stop the Shootings" will take place on Tuesday, October 26, at 6:30pm virtually via Zoom. Register in advance here.
Email to a friend