Alder Gary Halverson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Halverson’s Updates
Feasibility Study for PFAS Removal at Well 15
There is a Water Utility Board meeting today at 4:30p. The Feasibility Study for PFAS Removal at Well 15 is agenda item #4 and you can review the full report here.
Goals of the study:
- Evaluate treatment technologies
- Get a general estimate of upfront and ongoing costs for effective treatments
- Provide a recommended treatment design that would:
- Remove PFAS.
- Remove PCE and TCE, eliminating the need for the air stripper system that's currently set up at Well 15.
- Allow 1000 gallons per minute of water to be produced from the well.
A granular activated carbon system was the recommended treatment technology.
- Granular activated carbon successfully removed PFAS, PCE, and TCE.
- The estimated initial cost of the recommended system was $825,000.
- Note: This is a general estimate for the treatment system only. There would be additional costs to modify the building at Well 15 because it is not tall enough.
- The estimated ongoing costs would depend on how frequently the carbon is replaced. The preliminary estimate was $50,000 to $300,000 a year.
- The major components for the recommended system (ex: bag filter units, steel pipes, tank) have a life expectancy of approximately 30 years.
You can find the full agenda here
You can register to watch online here
Additional information on PFAS at Well 15 can be found here
Email to a friend