Alder Gary Halverson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Halverson’s Updates
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of May 3, 2021
Homeless Issues Budget Recommendation Listening Session
The City-County Homeless Issues Committee is holding a listening session to receive recommendations from the public for the 2021 budget on issues related to homelessness at its meeting on Monday.
For additional information about additional meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City Meeting Schedule online here.
Want to be fully vaccinated in just two weeks?
Public Health Madison & Dane County is once again offering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at Alliant Energy Center. Since you only need one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, there's no return visit needed, and you're fully vaccinated two weeks following your shot. Public Health is making it easy.
- Appointments at the Alliant Energy Center are recommended but not required. Book an appointment or drop in during clinic hours.
- Prefer to get a vaccine other than Johnson & Johnson? Need Pfizer vaccine for a 16- or 17-year old? You can choose which vaccine you want if you schedule an appointment.
- Get up to date vaccine information and clinic hours here.
- The Alliant Energy Center Site is drive-up and walk-up – and free transportation is available! After making an appointment, call 608-243-0420 to arrange a ride.
- If computer access is a barrier, you can call 608-242-6328 and a team member will help sign you up.
- Public Health will not ask for identification or about your immigration status.
A parent or guardian must accompany 16 and 17 year olds. Read more about how after reviewing the latest data, the CDC is confident in the safety and benefits of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine:
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
- Madison International Partners offers free citizenship classes on Tuesdays from 5pm-6:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-10:30am. Register here.
- The Wisconsin Women's Business Initiative Corporation (WWBIC) is offering Entrepreneurship Education and Training Programs online and on-demand. Learn more about their webinars & workshops and on-demand classes.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
- Want to help equity in bicycling? The JUST Bikes Coalition invites individuals and organizations that would like to contribute to local, neighborhood-based efforts to support equity in active transportation, with a special focus on safe and comfortable access to bicycling. Learn more here or call 414-242-7064.
- Have you seen the proposed BRT station designs? Provide your feedback before Sunday May 2. Give comments on likes, dislikes, concerns, or things you might want to see done differently.
- Valor on Washington, an affordable housing community located at 1322 E. Washington Avenue, is opening in October 2021. Gorman & Company invites veterans and active military to submit pre-applications if they would like to reside in this unique community. For more information and to get the pre-application form, contact Gorman at ValorOnWashington@Gormanusa.com or 414-617-9997.
- On April 29, Public Health Madison & Dane County issued Emergency Order #16, which further continues the phased reopening of Dane County. The order goes into effect May 5 and will be in effect until June 2, 2021. Read more here. View Mayor Rhodes-Conway's press briefing here.
- Metro Transit is holding a BRT Spring Public Meeting where staff will give updates on the BRT project, including updates on east and west terminals, station configurations at select intersections, and the status of the station design competition. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11, 6pm-7:30pm. Register for the meeting here.
- The Madison Arts Commission is proud to announce the installation of Madison's latest major public art project, Shift by Julia Schilling, located on Highland Avenue beneath Campus Drive. The piece will serve as an interactive gateway between the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, UW Hospital and Clinics, and the Regent Neighborhood. Read more and see photos here.
- Metro Transit encourages all community members, riders and non-riders, to fill out a quick "choices" survey. Survey results will help shape the collective goals and priorities for Madison's future transit network. Fill out the Transit Choices Survey. Completa la Encuesta de Opciones de Tránsito (Spanish survey).
- On April 29, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced that on May 12, 2021, eligible households will be able to apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit. Read more here and here.
Email to a friend