Alder Gary Halverson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Halverson’s Updates
Proposed Men's Shelter Site Selection Criteria and other Event Highlights for the Week of June 7, 2021 CORRECTION
Proposed Men's Shelter Site Selection Criteria Monday June 7th 5:30p Meeting
The City-County Homelessness Issues Committee will be discussing a resolution proposing site selection criteria for a new men's shelter at its meeting on Monday June 7th, 5:30p
For additional information about additional meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City Meeting Schedule online here
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
· Artists Beyond Boundaries call for art is now open! From June 1 through August 31, Access to Independence is inviting artists with disabilities of all skill levels to submit up to two works of art for a chance to win one of thirteen $200 awards and have their artwork featured in the 2022 Artists Beyond Boundaries calendar. Learn more about the event here, and find the artist entry form here.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Dane County is looking for RSVP Driver Escort volunteers to drive seniors to medical appointments and Vets Helping Vets volunteer drivers to drive veterans and their families to important appointments. Fitchburg has a serious need for more drivers to make sure both of these programs can serve the growing requests from passengers. For more information about driving for seniors or veterans, contact Mary Schmelzer at 608-441-7896 or email@example.com.
· A site-specific public art installation was created on June 4 at the Madison Public Library's central location at 201 W. Mifflin Street. Molly Stentz, a floral artist and flower grower, curated a selection of Wisconsin-grown seasonal ephemerals for the "Madison Flower Flash, 2021" installation. Read more here.
· The City of Madison will absorb the Town of Madison Oct. 31, 2022. The communications team for the attachment process wants to hire community navigators to connect with Town of Madison residents, business owners and property owners, especially non-English speaking communities. The application to become a community navigator is now open. Learn more here. Information in Spanish can be found here.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
- Effective at 12:00am on June 2, 2021, all public health orders in Dane County expired, including mask requirements and gathering limits. Read more here.
- City Engineering is offering a backwater valve incentive program to residents who want to protect their home from experiencing a sewer backup. All eligible property owners who install a backwater valve in their home may be eligible to get reimbursed 75 percent of the installation cost up to $1,500. Learn more here.
- Several streets will be closed for the City of Madison's "Ride the Drive" event on Sunday, June 6, 2021. The event will take place from 9:00 a.m. to noon, but streets will be closed from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. See which streets will be affected here.
- There are several public engagement opportunities coming up to kick off the Greater Madison MPO's Connect Greater Madison: Regional Transportation Plan 2050 process. If you would like to stay informed about progress and engagement opportunities for this important regional planning process, which occurs every five years, please visit the project web site and sign up for project updates.
Email to a friend