Alder Gary Halverson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Halverson’s Updates
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of June 14, 2021
Proposed Men's Shelter Site Selection Criteria
The Common Council Executive Committee will be discussing a resolution proposing site selection criteria for a new men's shelter at its meeting on Tuesday.
Final Report of the Body-Worn Camera Feasibility Review Committee
The Common Council Executive Committee will be considering the Body-Worn Camera Feasibility Review Committee Final Report at its meeting on Tuesday.
For additional information about additional meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City Meeting Schedule online here
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
· The YWCA is offering a Basic Computer Skills course beginning June 14. The course will focus on healing traumas experienced from incarceration through Restorative Circles. It is structured to get its participants introduced to basic technical skills and applications that will support the students in furthering their education in the IT field, and support them as they search for employment. Participants will be paid $15/hr for their time in class. The application can be found here.
· Join the Othering & Belonging Institute on Tuesday, June 22, 9am-12pm PT / 12pm-3pm ET, for a half-day forum with fair housing advocates and leading race and housing scholars from across the United States for the unveiling of "The Roots of Structural Racism." This groundbreaking new project from the Othering & Belonging Institute at UC Berkeley details just how widespread and harmful racial residential segregation remains today, why it matters, who it impacts, and what can be done to reverse this dangerous trend and promote integration. Learn more and register here.
· Dane Dances! is coming back to the Monona Terrace rooftop Fridays in August for its 22nd Anniversary season! After a long year of staying safe, wearing masks, and social distancing to get through the Covid-19 pandemic, the community is invited now to get out, get up, get down and get together! Read more here.
· The City of Madison Traffic Engineering Division is hosting a free community engagement event, Let's Talk Streets, on June 15 and June 16. The goal is to learn directly from the community about how street design and operation impact roadway users and to incorporate that information into future planning and projects. Read the news release here, and learn more and register for one of the events here.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Dane County has an urgent need for volunteer drivers to deliver meals to Fitchburg-area seniors. If you're interested in helping, please contact Mary Schmelzer at 608-441-7896 or email@example.com.
· Madison Fire Department acquires first-ever electric municipal fire engine. Read more here.
- Upcoming, public-facing COVID-19 Mobile Vaccine Clinics, as organized by Public Health Madison & Dane County:
- Friday, June 11, 3pm-7pm: Mount Horeb Summer Frolic
- Friday, June 11, 5pm-7pm: Goodman Community Center (2nd dose clinic, 1st doses welcome)
- Saturday, June 12, 11am-3pm: Emancipation Inoculation at Funk's Pub Fitchburg
- Saturday, June 12, 10am-2pm: Mount Horeb Summer Frolic
- Saturday, June 12, 10am-1pm: Lussier Community Education Center (2nd dose clinic, 1st doses welcome)
- Wednesday, June 16, 12pm-4pm: Lakeview Library (2nd dose clinic, 1st doses welcome)
- Thursday, June 17, 2pm-6pm: Hawthorne Library (2nd dose clinic, 1st doses welcome)
Details and a map of all upcoming clinics are on the Public Health website. Public Health Madison & Dane County's COVID-19 Data Snapshot is released every Thursday. You can read their weekly blog post for a summary of the week's data.
- Goodman Pool opened on June 11 with limited capacity. Read more here. Click the links for more information on hours & prices, scholarships, and rules & expectations.
- The combination of sustained dry weather and a number of wells being out of service is putting pressure on the supply conditions of the Madison Water Utility. The Utility is asking customers to voluntarily limit outdoor water use. Read more here.
Save the Date
· gALPHA Young Leaders (June 28 - July 23) is a free, virtual, four-week pre-accelerator for high school students (or outgoing seniors) in Dane County. The goal is to sharpen skills like leadership, public speaking, and business acumen through building their own company. For more information or to apply, please visit the website.
- Make Music Madison returns in person on Monday, June 21! Patios, sidewalks, front porches, and parks all over the city will fill with song for anyone to enjoy! Schedule and Interactive Map - www.makemusicmadison.org/listings
Email to a friend