District 17 Updates
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of August 23, 2021
August 24, 2021 4:35 PM
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
- The African Association of Madison presents Africa Fest 2021, "Celebrating Africa's Great Civilizations," on Saturday, August 21, from 10am-10pm at McPike Park, 202 S. Ingersoll Street. This free event features onstage performances, Taste of Africa food vendors, Parade of Nations, live DJ, art/craft/fashion vendors, and more! Learn more about Africa Fest here.
- Don't miss the last LIFT Leopold event on August 24, 5:30pm-7:30pm at Aldo Leopold Park, 2906 Traceway Drive. Enjoy free dinner at 6pm, live music from the Angela Puerta Band, YMCA flag football skills and drills, GHC-SCW yoga class, MSCR adaptive dance and nature kits for kids, the Madison Reading Project bus, and a free vaccination clinic and vaccine education.
- Are you excited to get back to State Street for fun times and festivals? One way you can do that is by attending the MadLit festivals, which happen every other Friday night, 8pm-11pm, from July through October. The next MadLit festival is August 27, with Spoken Word + Comedy Showcase Featuring DJ M. White. The event is free of charge. Learn more about the MadLit festival and upcoming acts here.
- Looking for a volunteer opportunity where the fun is guaranteed? Sign up to help out at the BIKE RODEO! This event is happening on Saturday, August 28, at Nuestro Mundo School, 902 Nichols Road in Monona. Learn more and sign up here.
- Upcoming, public-facing COVID-19 vaccine clinics, as organized by Public Health Madison & Dane County.
- Saturday, August 21: Eken Park Festival, 11am-6pm
- Saturday, August 21: Dane County Dairy Breakfast (Cambridge), 7am-11:30am
- Saturday, August 21: Africa Fest, 10am-4pm
- Monday, August 23: Madison College Truax Campus, 5pm-8pm
- Tuesday, August 24: Luke House, 11am-1pm
- Tuesday, August 24: Madison College Truax Campus, 1pm-5pm
- Wednesday, August 25: Middleton Outreach Ministry, 10am-1pm
- Wednesday, August 25: Madison College Truax Campus, 1pm-5pm
- Thursday, August 26: Luke House, 5pm-7pm
- Thursday, August 26: Black Youth & Young Adults Teen Night, 4pm-8pm
Additional Public Health resources
- As a reminder, Face Covering Emergency Order is now in effect. You can learn more about this Order, find the news release, and watch the news conference on Public Health's blog.
- If you need to get tested, you can learn more about the more than 45 testing sites in Dane County on Public Health's website (in Spanish).
- Public Health Madison & Dane County's COVID-19 Data Snapshot is released every Thursday. You can read their weekly blog post for a summary of the week's data.
- For a weekly summary of talking points around COVID-19 in Dane County, please check out Public Health's hot topics document in their Google Drive.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
- The City of Madison would like to invite anyone impacted by the upcoming Town of Madison Attachment process to a virtual public information meeting on Wednesday, September 15, at 6pm. More information can be found here.
- Redistricting, the process of redrawing Madison's wards and alder districts based on population changes that have occurred over the last decade, is happening now. Redistricting determines which communities and neighborhoods are assembled into alder districts and other voting districts. There are many opportunities for the community to participate in the process. You can create maps illustrating your community of interest by using Representable, an online tool to share information about the interests and needs of your community. Feedback can guide both the Dane County and City of Madison redistricting efforts. More information on the redistricting process is available here.
- On Tuesday, August 17, Public Health Madison & Dane County issued a Face Covering Emergency Order, which went into effect at 12:01am on Thursday, August 19. The new order requires that everyone age 2 and older wear a face covering or mask when in any enclosed building where other people, except for members of the person's own household or living unit, could be present. This requirement applies to all of Dane County. Learn more here.
- Dane County Alliance Against Commercial Tobacco sounds the alarm on new tobacco product: nicotine pouches. Read more here.
- On Monday, August 2, Metro Transit and the City of Madison Transportation Policy and Planning Board (TPPB) held a public hearing to discuss expected changes in fare collection technology and future policy changes that will be coming in the next few years. The TPPB met again on Monday, August 16. It was decided that Metro will not move forward on any cashless policy proposals at this time. All other proposed technology polices were approved. Review the meetings and materials and learn more here.
- Metro's Transit Network Redesign Survey #2 is live. Your input is essential! Please take this quick, 10-minute survey to help us better understand the 'type' of transit network to implement.
Save the Date
- Mark your calendar for the last Sina Davis Movies in the Park in 2021:
Tags: Weekly City Updates
Email to a friend