Alder Sabrina Madison
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Madison’s Updates
The Tuesday Update for District 17: November 22, 2022
Hey there neighbors,
Thanks for your patience to get out my first update to you. It's been 4 weeks since I was appointed to fill the vacant Aldermanic term for District 17. You can learn more about why I decided to apply for the position by visiting the "About" section.
In my weekly (Tuesdays) newsletters you can expect to find:
- Upcoming office hours
- Highlights from my previous week of meetings + actions
- Connections to resources and other helpful information
- District events and other happenings
- Overall updates from our City
Is there anything else you'd like to see in these weekly updates or have other feedback about these communications? Please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Your Alder Office Hours:
- Sunday, 11/27, 11am - 1pm, Virtual over Zoom
- Tuesday, 11/29, 5pm - 7pm, Virtual over Zoom
- Tuesday, 12/6, 8am - 930am, In person at Mercies Coffee, located at 1748 Eagan RD.
- Saturday, 12/17, 9am – 11am, In person at Mercies Coffee, located at 1748 Eagan RD.
Highlights from my previous weeks of meetings + actions
My first few weeks have mostly been spent getting set up and running. From navigating emails, meeting Common Council staff, connecting with my fellow Alders, learning who to reach out to for various questions from community members, to spending a considerable amount of time studying the 2023 Capital and Operating Budgets so that I could be as prepared as possible during recent budget deliberations – overall it's been an exciting and busy few weeks.
More highlights since being appointed:
- In addition to attending Common Council meetings, I've attended virtual meetings for the Finance and the Common Council Executive Committees.
- Listened to feedback from community members from District 17 about the Public Market.
- Met with a community member about a parking concern and in the process to see that matter addressed.
- Visited & met with the owners of La Taguara Bar & Grill at 3010 Crossroads Dr.
- Met with Captain Jamar Gary, Madison Police Department's East District
- Worked with fellow Common Council members to pass the 2023 Capital and Operating Budgets.
Along with meeting with staff across are of the City, a few of the meetings I'm working to schedule include:
- Porchlight staff for the Men's Emergency Shelter located at 2002 Zeier Road.
- Alexa Graham, East Neighborhood Resource Officer (NRO)
- Educators at Sandburg Elementary School
Overall updates + events you may be interested in:
- The Common Council will meet in hybrid format at 6:30pm on Tuesday, November 22nd.
- Meeting details, including the agenda + ability to watch online
- Madison Night Market WINTER MARKET: The Madison Night Market will include 40 vendors showcasing handmade products, local art, artisan gifts, and prepackaged foods. Retailers and restaurants in the area will feature warm drinks and delicious food. www.madisonnightmarket.com.
November 25, 26 & 27 - Holiday Open House
In-store promotions, specials, and offers as well as special events, shopping trolley and carolers
- Includes start of Holiday Market Bag giveaway
- Holiday Shopping Trolley RETURNS!
November 25 – While Supplies Last - Downtown Madison Holiday Market Bag
1,000 Gift Bags for Downtown Holiday Shopping trolley riders and visitors to the Downtown Madison Visitor Center. Traditionally more than 20 businesses add items to the bags.
SPECIAL ACTIVITES & EVENTS
· Community planter displays
· Coordinated planting beds
· Special lighted areas
· An outdoor market on State Street
· Local caroling groups visit on Saturdays
· Holiday Open House special offers and events
· Shopping Trolley returns during Holiday Open House
· Lights on trees on King Street
· Musicians everywhere
· Lobby displays
· Restaurant specials
· Decorated windows
- FREE HUD-APPROVED HOMEBUYER EDUCATION CLASS (IN PERSON) – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10TH: The City of Madison, in partnership with the Home Buyers Round Table of Dane County and Consumer Credit Counseling Service, want to share with you the last HUD Approved Homebuyer Education classes of 2022! 2023 class schedule to come soon! Find all the events by following this link: https://homebuyersroundtable.org/events/. The next class for December is open!
Certificate of Completion provided upon completion of class AND one-on-one counseling session with Consumer Credit Counseling Services. Verify with your Down Payment Assistance/Closing Costs program to make sure that completing this course (class with one-on-one counseling) fulfills their requirements.
Time: 8:00am to 3:00pm
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2022 Register by December 10th
Location: Villager Mall on Park Street, Atrium Entrance (2300 S Park St. Madison, WI 53713)
Register here: https://homebuyersroundtable.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/homebuyersroundtable/event.jsp?event=37& Limit is 40 attendees, first come - first served.
Education provided by Consumer Credit Counseling Service and made possible by Home Buyers Round Table.
Any questions contact Maria Davila-Martinez (email@example.com) or by phone at 608-266-6557.
- The application for a BYFY (By Youth For Youth) grant is open!: Youth applicants, schools, and youth-serving organizations in Dane County can apply for up to $3,000 for youth-led initiatives and the application is due December 23, 2022.
By Youth For Youth is a unique program where Dane County high school students allocate City and County grants for youth serving programs and projects. Qualification details and application link here: https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_54GR5k4GGY55uTQ
Email to a friend