Alder Samba Baldeh
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Baldeh’s Blog
Wild Rumpus & Renaming of the City-County Building
New Program - Wild Rumpus at Reindahl Park on Mondays
Summer is officially here and parents and children maybe looking for outdoor activities. City Parks Division in partnership with Madison Public Library will have children's activities at Reindahl this summer. We have good reports from some of those who participated this week. Children can explore in their own ways and based on their own creativity, for example, with large wooden blocks to build with, tunnels to crawl through, and story/coloring books.
The program is free and open to the public. Let's Eat Out will also be present with food carts. See below event details:
Location: Reindahl Park (by the shelter)
Date: Mondays, June 19-August 16
Time: 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM
And remember, the Splash Park at Reindahl is open 10am to 7pm daily.
Renaming of the City-County Building as the President Barack Obama City-County Building
As you likely know, the city and county governments are housed at the same building (City County Building) at 210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd). Last week county officials introduced a resolution/bill to rename this building President Barack Obama City-County Building and reached out to me to sponsor a similar resolution for the city. I agreed and introduced a city version of the resolution at the Madison Common Council on Tuesday night. This resolution will go through various city committees for the general public to participate; a good opportunity for all to be heard. It will then eventually come back to Common Council for a final vote. At that time, city residents can still participate in debates and discussions about whether or not this should be a way to honor president Obama.
Some of my Common Council colleagues have agreed to co-sponsor the resolution and others want further discussion before they could decide one way or the other. I have read on local (print & online) and social media both supporting and opposing views for this measure, with good reason from both sides.
Some of the reasons I have heard in terms of opposition are:
1. The city county building also houses a jail and the overwhelming majority of inmates are African-Americans.
2. It is not a good idea to name anything after a living president.
3. We need more discussions around this before a resolution is approved.
I want to hear your thoughts. The City County Building is where policies are made, and the building should be a daily reminder to legislators and policy makers to strive for equality with all of our actions. However, I am a strong believer in participatory democracy and in light of the opposing points of view, I am working with the mayor's office on a draft substitute calling for a joint city-county committee to request public input and make recommendations to the city and county of possible places to name after Obama.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the District 17 – Alder Baldeh email list:
- 2018 Operating Budget & More
- 2019 Capital Budget Amendments and More
- 2020 Budget
- Common Council Adopted 2020 Budget
- Community Input Sought on Municipal ...
- Districts Vacancies & City County Ro...
- Gun violence in the city
- Coronavirus Disease & Travel Suspension
- Public Health Issues Order Closing S...
- Updates from the city
- D17 Updates on Voter Registration, C...
- District 17 and COVID-19 Updates
- District 17 Updates on PFAS, F35s, M...
- District Updates
- District Updates & Neighborhood Meet...
- Final Round of Christmas Tree Collec...
- March District17 Updates
- Memorial Day
- Memorial Day
- OOO and District Updates
- Q&A & Presentation Slides: 6/27/19 M...
- Sycamore Ave. Drop-off Site Closed. ...
- The future of East Towne, Food Pantr...
- Updates on Absentee Voting and More
- Wild Rumpus & Renaming of the City-C...
- City of Madison Flood Safety Update
- Flash Flooding Risks
- Flood Updates as of Monday Morning 8/27
- New Flood Maps
- Request Sandbag Help from Volunteers...
- Imagine Reindahl - Planning Update O...
- Library/Imagination Center & Distric...
- Opinion on Cap Times - Reindahl Imag...
- Frequently Asked Questions about PFAS
- Latest PFAS Testing Results - Well 15
- Well 15 Temporarily Shut Down
- District 17 Update on Community Foru...
- District 17 Updates
- District 17 Updates
- Elections Updates and More
- Elections Volunteer and Paid Opportu...
- Inadvertent Special Assessment Notic...
- Post Election and Budget
- Shooting at the East Town Mall Area
- The North Side Chiefs Forum