District 17 Highlights for the Week of May 8, 2023
I hope you were able to enjoy some of the great weather we had yesterday. Included in today's updates are the following:
- May 2023 is Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage Month in the City of Madison
- Office Hours in the District
- Madison Police Department
- District engagement opportunities
- Development Update(s)
- Meeting & Event highlights for the City of Madison
Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage Month in the City of Madison
Many thanks to Representative Francesca Hong who provided language to help me get started in writing and sponsoring the resolution to honor May as Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage Month in the City of Madison.
Office Hours with Alder Madison
Join me at Java Cat Coffee House on Friday, May 19th from 7am - 9am.
It’s a great opportunity to chat with me in person about any concerns you may have, ask questions, or simply stop by and say hello.
I’ll provide pastries and coffee.
Address: 4221 Lien Rd
Updates from Madison Police Department
Seeking people to join Community Policing Advisory Boards to build trust, legitimacy:
“The Madison Police Department is recruiting individuals now through May 26, 2023 to serve on Community Policing Advisory Boards (CPABs) in each of Madison’s six police districts (cityofmadison.com/police/districts).
Advisors will seek and share residents’ concerns, questions and ideas as they advise district officers on community issues; amplify voices that have traditionally gone unheard; and promote trust and transparency between MPD and the community.
MPD is seeking a total of 30 individuals (5 per district) from diverse backgrounds with deep knowledge of and strong ties to the Madison police district they live or work in and the people and places in it; experience with or exposure to life challenges, and a commitment to making Madison safer for all.” Review full details.
From the East District: Coffee with a Cop - 5/30/23:
“Hello! We will have our monthly 'Coffee with a Cop', at the East District Station (809 S Thompson Dr.) in the front community room. Coffee will be provided for those who join us! For this event and future Coffee with a Cop events we will be continuing our efforts of adjusting when we hold our event to allow for more flexibility across the community. My hope is by adjusting the time for our Coffee with a Cop event we can fit more individual's schedules. Our next coffee day is scheduled on Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 from 11:00am-12:00pm. Please feel free to stop in at any time to participate. Parking is available in the front lot of EPD. Please do not pass the fence line or park near the squads. Should the lot run out of parking spaces street parking is available as well as along a side of the EPD driveway. Please do not block the driveway as officers will need to come and go to address calls for service in the community. As usual, we are excited about this opportunity and ask that you spread the word to anyone who might be interested in this community event. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.orgFor this Coffee with a Cop we will have guest speakers presenting on the RAVE Emergency Alert System in Dane County.”
District Engagement Opportunities
Eastside Alders Meet & Greet
When: Friday, May 26th, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Where: La Taguara, 3010 Crossroads Drive, Madison, WI 53718
Food: Light refreshments provided
This is a great opportunity to join a few of your Eastside Alders for an evening of conversations and connections.
Each of us are looking forward to connecting with our constituents and hope you’ll bring both your questions and ideas about improving our City overall.
“The City of Madison is collaborating with Dane County to plan for and design a purpose-built shelter facility that will serve primarily men in our community who experience homelessness. The facility, to be built at 1904 Bartillon Drive, will be Madison’s first purpose-built shelter. Please join the City of Madison, Dane County and Porchlight, Inc at one of the three upcoming public information meetings to get an overview of the project, pre-design concepts and information on next steps.”
- 5:30-7 p.m., May 9, 2023, Virtual via Zoom. Registration prior is required: May 9, 2023 Public Information Meeting Registration
- 5:30-7 p.m., May 11, 2023, in person at East Madison Community Center, 8 Straubel Court, Madison, Wis., 53704 (Spanish and Hmong Interpreter Services will be available.)
- 5:30-7 p.m., May 17, 2023, in person at Hawthorne Library, 2707 E Washington Ave., Madison, Wis., 53704
If you need interpreter services, please contact: email@example.com (Si necesita servicios de interpretación, comuníquese con) (Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais lus, thov hu rau)
Learn more on the Bartillon Shelter Project Page.
Event Cost: Free
Handicapped Accessible: Yes
American Sign Language (ASL) Provided?: No
Event Website: Register for the May 9, 2023 Public Information Meeting.
Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of May 8, 2023
· Finance Committee: The Finance Committee meeting will be held in virtual format on Monday, May 8, 2023 at 4:30 PM. Agenda item include amending the 2023 adopted Mayor’s Office Sustainability Improvements Project Capital Budget to accept a grant award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA); and more!
· Madison Arts Commission: The Madison Arts Commission will be held virtually on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 5:30 PM. Agenda items include naming of Madison’s next Youth Poet Laureate, and more!
· West Area Open House, Wednesday, May 10, 2023: During the West Area Plan kickoff meetings residents shared questions and comments about a variety of topics and projects other City departments and divisions are working on. As a result, Planning Division staff coordinated a multi-agency open house to bring together residents and staff from various City divisions. The open house is scheduled for Wednesday, May 10, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S. Gammon Road. Please join us - Metro service is available on route 67 and parking is also available. The open house will cover a variety of projects and initiatives.
· East Side Farmers' Market, Tuesday, May 9, 2023: The Eastside Farmers' Market is Madison Wisconsin’s finest weekday farmers' market. Our goal is to bring the freshest Wisconsin grown food direct to the heart of the East side. Our vendor members are agricultural producers and food artisans who make value added products from Wisconsin's agricultural bounty.
· Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday Market, Wednesday, May 10, 2023: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in between the Madison Municipal Building and the City County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers’ Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
· Conservation Park Tour – Heritage Sanctuary, Wednesday, May 10, 2023: It's our annual wildflower walk! Heritage Sanctuary is known for its robust display of “spring ephemeral” wildflowers. Join conservation staff, enjoy the blooms and learn about how this habitat came to be.
Conservation Park Tours are educational staff-guided walks held at various conservation parks on the 2nd Wednesday, May - October. Event starting times vary, depending on the sunset, and typically last about 90 minutes. Walks are held rain or shine, free to attend, easy-paced, and family-friendly. No registration is required. Most locations do NOT have restrooms. As always, dogs and pets are prohibited in all conservation parks.
· Madison Night Market, Thursday, May 11, 2023: Madison Night Market is a celebration of Madison's unique and inspiring creative culture.
· WPCRC Family Fun Night, Friday, May 12, 2023: WPCRC Family Fun Nights are in partnership with Madison School Community Recreation and offers local families a wide selection of fun activities. Sign your family up today!
· Meadowlands and Tree Lane Resource Fairs: Does your organization provide activities, resources, or services that could benefit the children and families living in the Meadowlands and Tree Lane Apartments this summer? Public Health Madison & Dane County is hosting resource fairs at each of these locations in May.
Meadowlands Apartments – 6810 Milwaukee St., Saturday, May 20th 12-3pm
Tree Lane Family Apartments – 7933 Tree Ln., Wednesday, May 24th 3-6 pm
If you would like to attend one or both of these fairs, please complete the following survey to assist with planning. Or contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YES MY ORG WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND! Responses requested by Friday, May 12, 2023!
· Joint Statement by Madison Mayor and Alders Related to Recent Racist Video: On Monday, a video of an UW-Madison student engaging in racist language targeting Black students on campus became public and went viral.
· Don’t Miss Your Final Spring Yard Waste Collection: The Streets Division is wrapping up the spring yard waste collection. For certain neighborhoods, the final set out for spring yard waste collection is this coming up Sunday, May 7, 2023.
· Make Music Madison Returns June 21: For the 11th year in a row, the City of Madison will become a stage with hundreds of free live performances throughout the City.
· Seeking people to join Community Policing Advisory Boards to build trust, legitimacy: The Madison Police Department is recruiting individuals now through May 26, 2023 to serve on Community Policing Advisory Boards (CPABs) in each of Madison’s six police districts (cityofmadison.com/police/districts).
· Mow Two Times this Low Mow May 2023: The City invites the community to support its pollinators and green spaces by mowing less and joining in its Low Mow May 2023 efforts.
· REMINDER: Dane CORE 2.0 Rental Assistance Program Applications to Close May 31: Dane County and the City of Madison want to remind residents that the Dane COronavirus REntal program (CORE 2.0), funded by the Federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program through the U.S.
· Transit Network Redesign Updates!
· See all updates here-> Metro’s redesign set to go into effect on Sunday, June 11
· Things to Note!
o Trip Planning
- We have schedule information now at mymetrobus.com/redesign.
- Currently, you can plan your trip using the Transit App. (You would need to set a travel date on or after June 11.)