Alder Erik Paulson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Paulson’s Updates
Week of August 22nd: Hawthorne-Truax neighborhood plan initial draft feedback sessions, and lots of transportation planning!
Hawthrone-Truax neighborhood plan events starting this week, save the date for I39/90/94 study meetings, police independent monitor finalists announced, State St intercity bus terminal and ramp meeting, and more!
- Hawthrone-Truax Neighborhood Plan initial draft - multiple upcoming opportunities to learn more and give updates on the draft of the updated plan
- The Interstate 39/90/94 Corridor study - save the date: WisDOT is hosting public meetings in mid-September
- State St Campus Ramp Public Meeting - not in D3, but an important ramp for lots of folks, and it will be the intercity bus terminal, so sharing a public online meeting opportunity for it on August 24th
- Meetings, Announcements, and Events - Police Monitor Finalists announced, Mad Lit and Dane Dances Continue, and more
- The Draft 2023-2027 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for the Madison Metropolitan Area & Dane County is now available for review and comment
Join us to review the draft of the updated Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan!
The Planning Division will present initial draft concepts and recommendations from the Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan for review and feedback at a series of public meetings, events and activities.
- August 23 and 24 -Virtual Concept Review. Register on the project's website for one of the Virtual Meetings: www.cityofmadison.com/HawthorneTruax August 23, 6-7pm or August 24, 12-1pm. Both meetings will include review and feedback on initial draft neighborhood plan concepts and recommendations.
- August 25 – Hawthorne-truax neighborhood plan review and Community Night Out. Join us 4-7pm in the Hawthorne Elementary Open Space, 3458 Lexington Ave., Madison, WI 53714 for food, family fun, and review of initial draft plan concepts and recommendations. RAIN DATE: September 1, 4-7pm
- August 27 - Splish Splash Concept Review. Review initial draft plan concepts and recommendations while enjoying the Reindahl Park Splash Pad, 1818 Portage Rd., 11am-2pm
- August 30 and September 6- Food Pantry Feedback. Staff will be at the East Madison Community Center food pantry to gather feedback on the initial draft plan concepts and recommendations. East Madison Community Center, 7 Straubel Ct, August 30 & September 6, 11am-1pm
- September 6 & 7 - Madison College Conversations. Staff will be at Madison College to gather feedback on initial draft concepts and recommendations with Madison College students and community members. Madison College Lobby, 1701 Wright St. September 6 & September 7, 11am-1pm.
I94/90/39 Corridor Study Public Meetings
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) invites you to a public involvement meeting introducing the environmental study of the 67 miles of I-39/90/94 in Dane, Columbia, Sauk and Juneau counties between Madison and Wisconsin Dells. There are two opportunities to participate, and both meetings will be an open-house format and provide participants with the same information. You may attend any time between 4 and 7 p.m.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2022 from 4 to 7 p.m.
Yahara Elementary School
234 N. Lexington Parkway
DeForest, WI 53532
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2022 from 4 to 7 p.m.
Clarion Hotel & Suites
(Wintergreen Conference Center)
60 N. Gasser Road
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
The meetings will provide overview information about the study and gather public input that will help WisDOT develop the following:
- Study purpose and need
- Range of transportation alternatives
- Proposed study schedule
If you have questions or are unable to attend but would like to learn about the study, please contact I-39/90/94
Study Project Manager Frank Pritzlaff via email at DOTSWRInterstateStudy@dot.wi.gov or call (608) 246-3803.
Both meeting facilities are ADA-compliant and wheelchair-accessible. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may request an interpreter by contacting the Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (dial 711) at least three working days prior to the meeting date. If you require a Spanish- or Hmong-speaking translator at the meeting, please contact Michael Bie (email Michael.Bie@dot.wi.gov or call 608-246-7928) at least three working days prior to the meeting date.
View study information, submit comments and sign up for email updates by visiting our website at bit.ly/ InterstateStudyPIM
State Street/Campus Parking Ramp & Bus Terminal public meeting
It's not District 3, but this since it's going to include the intercity bus terminal and it's a ramp a lot of folks use when they go to campus, the Union terrace, or the Kohl Center I wanted to share the info: On August 24 at 6:30pm, please join Alder Verveer, Alder Bennett, and Alder Heck for a virtual neighborhood meeting to take a first look at a proposed redevelopment of the State Street-Campus Parking Garage at 415 N. Lake Street. Mortenson Development has been chosen by the City as the developer of the apartments proposed for above a new city-owned parking garage that will include a new intercity bus terminal. The existing parking garage along Lake Street will be demolished and replaced while the garage section to the east of Hawthorne Court will remain. Some mixed-use space is planned for the first floor.
Registration for the meeting is required. Click here to register.
- The Common Council will not meet again until September 6, but many other committees meet the week of August 22, including the Sustainable Madison Committee, Water Utility Board, Community Services Committee and Disability Rights Commission. To see the full list of City meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City meeting schedule.
- Orton Park Festival is happening August 25-28. This free event features local, regional, and national music, food and fun. Find more information here.
- Movies with Madison Parks presents Encanto at Lisa Link Peace Park, 452 State Street, on Saturday, August 27, at 7:45pm. Find more information about this free event here, and be sure to check out the Parks Division Event Calendar for more fun activities in parks around Madison.
- Dane Dances! 2022 "A Season of Celebration" Dane Dances! is a family friendly event on the stunning Monona Terrace rooftop EVERY FRIDAY EVENING IN AUGUST. The much-anticipated summer music series is a great way to get down and dance with your friends, coworkers, or family. The rooftop gets shaking as the sun sets against the iconic Wisconsin State Capitol with the breeze of Lake Monona at your back while you dance. Feel free to bring a blanket, chair and picnic basket; seating on the rooftop is limited. Sorry, carry-in alcohol is prohibited. Dane Dances! promotes inclusivity with a fun night of music and dancing to music and bands for all ages.
- Luna's Block Party takes place on Saturday, August 20, 1pm-9pm, at Luna's Groceries, 2010 Red Arrow Trail. Bring the family and have some fun!
- Mad Lit - DJ Block Party at Top of State St Friday, August 26th, 8pm-11:30pm. DJ Dee Franko and DJ Spade will join one of Madison's true homegrown hip-hop heroes, multi-platinum producer DJ Pain 1. More here.
- The Common Council Office is hiring a Community Engagement Specialist. If you have a passion for communications and public service, you might be just who we're looking for! Learn more about this exciting opportunity.
- Hidden Homelessness ~ raising awareness and promoting change Newsletter
- The final candidates for the Independent Police Monitor position are Robert Copley, Rodney Saunders Jr., John Tate II, and Joel Winnig. The finalists were introduced at a virtual event on August 18. The candidates had the opportunity to answer questions from members of the Police Civilian Oversight Board (PCOB). Recordings of the candidate forum and the finalists' Oral Board interviews are available on the Office of Independent Monitor website. Provide feedback on the finalists to the PCOB in a survey, also available on the Office of Independent Monitor website. The feedback survey will be open until 11:59pm on Tuesday, August 23. The Police Civilian Oversight Board plans to conduct a final interview of the four final candidates, deliberate, and make a hiring decision in closed session at its August 25 meeting.
Madison Transportation Improvement Plan (the 'TIP')
The Draft 2023-2027 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for the Madison Metropolitan Area & Dane County is now available for review and comment. The TIP lists major transportation improvements and studies anticipated to be undertaken during the next five-year period. The complete draft document has been posted on the MPO's website on the TIP page
- The draft TIP includes a table on page 11 showing the already approved and proposed new priority projects to be funded through the STBG – Urban program using supplemental FY 2023-2026 funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill.
- We are hereby notifying you of the intentions of implementing units of government to request federal funding assistance for certain projects. If you have comments or concerns regarding the federally funded projects, including the proposed STBG Urban priority projects, or any of the other listed projects, the Greater Madison MPO asks that you please submit them in writing by Friday, September 23. Please address written comments to the MPO office or email them to MPO staff at email@example.com.
- The following is the date of the virtual public hearing on the draft TIP, which provides an opportunity to provide oral comments to the board. MPO staff is also available to meet and answer questions, discuss projects, and take comments.
- Public Hearing - Wednesday, September 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Virtual Meeting - [Note: See agenda when posted here for link and information on how to register to speak.]
- The MPO anticipates submitting the final 2023-2027 TIP with all appendices to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for approval and incorporation into the State TIP by early to mid November following anticipated MPO Policy Board action at its October 5 meeting.
Email to a friend