Alder Erik Paulson
- Phone: (608) 628-0288
- Contact Alder Erik Paulson
- Contact Council
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Paulson’s Updates
Week of Jan 23: Hawthrone-Truax plan review, Sycamore Park planning, Senator Agard listening session, and more
Recognizing an outstanding member of the city staff, Hawthrone-Truax neighborhood plan and Sycamore Park plan, Senator Agard listening session, and lots more to get to this week.
- City of Madison Fleet Employee of the Year Andrew Harrison
- Hawthrone-Truax Neighborhood Plan review meeting - virtual and in-person options Tues the 24th and Mon the 30th
- Sycamore Park Master Plan public meeting Thurs the 26th (virtual)
- Senator Agard Listening Session at Pinney Library
- Street Tree Pruning in parts of District 3 (west of I90)
- Other City meetings, events, and annoucements
I'm going to have a couple more blog posts later this week about Safe Streets Madison projects in District 3, and the Accessible Taxi Cab grant program I'm sponsoring. I try to keep the number of posts and email I send out down, but those are both big items that need their own posts so I hope you don't mind a little extra email this week.
Fleet Recognizes 2022 Employee of the Year Andrew Harrison
The Fleet Employee of the Year award is a relatively new tradition launched in 2018 to help increase the morale of employees and recognize their outstanding work. On December 20th, 2022 we were proud to announce that 2022 Fleet Employee of the Year was an unusually artistic and creative Fleet Technician, Andrew Harrison at Fleet's end of year party. Andrew works at Emil Street, primarily taking care of City Engineering vehicles, and by wide consensus is considered one of the most skilled, dependable, and customer service oriented mechanics on the team.
Read more about Andrew on the Fleet Service blog.
Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan draft and upcoming meeting Tues Jan 24th and Jan 30th!
The project team will host public meetings and attend community-led activities to share the draft plan and invite comments. Copies of the draft plan will also be available at the Hawthorne Public Library - 2702 E. Washington Ave., 53704 and East Madison Community Center - 8 Straubel Ct., 53704.
Sycamore Park Master Planning in 2023 - Thursday Jan 26 Save the Dates!
Save the dates for a set of upcoming virtual meetings on updates to the Sycamore Park Master Plan. The meetings will be at 6pm, and you can find out more on at the Parks website as well as register for the Zoom:
- Meeting #1: Park background information, planning process overview, public input
- Thursday, January 26
- Meeting #2: Present draft master plan for feedback
- Monday, February 27
- Meeting #3: Present revised master plan for feedback
- Thursday, March 30
State Senator Melissa Agard Listening Session
From our State Senator:
I am reaching out to invite you to my next listening session for Senate District 16 this coming Thursday, January 26th at 6:30pm at the Pinney Library (516 Cottage Road, Madison, WI 53716).
Your thoughts and opinions about the issues impacting your life, and your communities, are so important to me. I am your voice in the State Senate and my work would not be possible without your continued involvement and input.
The link to our Facebook event follows and it would be greatly appreciated if you would share this with your networks: https://www.facebook.com/events/903270687754259
Street Tree Pruning - upcoming areas of work
City Forestry crews will soon be pruning trees in the area highlighted in purple below. (For folks who might not be able to see the map, the area in purple is a triangle that covers the area north of Highway 30, all the way to East Washington Ave, and then diagonally up along E Wash and out a bit past the interstate) Our objective is to prune every tree that requires work within that area. Some information regarding pruning operations can be found here. If you have any questions, you can contact the interim City Forester Craig Klinke at email@example.com.
This map only shows what's happening in the near future, but note that all parts of District 3 that are west of the Interstate are scheduled for some tree pruning over the next few months, for all street trees. There is no scheduled tree pruning east of the Interstate. For folks who might be reading this and are south of Cottage Grove Road in other districts, there is tree pruning, but only for younger trees - those planted in the last 9 years.
Other City meetings, events, and annoucements
Madison Forward Fund Planning Work Group: The Madison Forward Fund Planning Work Group meets virtually on Monday, January 23, 2023 at 2:00 PM. An agenda item is a discussion regarding recommendations for next iterations/continuation of the Madison Forward Fund Program.
Sustainable Madison Committee: The Sustainable Madison Committee meets virtually on Monday, January 23, 2023 at 4:30 PM. An item on the agenda is a presentation on Complete Green Streets.
Transportation Commission: The Transportation Commission meets virtually on Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM. Agenda items include establishing a grant program to support accessible taxi cabs in Madison, Safe Streets Madison projects (including some in district 3 - look for an upcoming blog post!) and a Public Works transportation projects review and feedback.
- Winter Fun in Madison Parks This Weekend
- A New Model for City Planning – Madison Kicks off West and Northeast Area Plans
- Request Absentee Ballots for 2023 Elections
- Plow Naming Suggestions Opportunity Has Ended; Election Begins January 23, 2023
- Your 2023 trash and recycling calendar is available
- Arts Grants Applications Open in February! The Madison Arts Commission's annual grant program provides funding to support the arts across our community. Applications will be due March 15, 2023 and will be posted to our website in February. A virtual grant writing workshop will be held in mid-February and will be recorded and made available on our website.
- Holiday Tree Collection: The final round of holiday collection begins after the Martin Luther King Jr, holiday. If you have yet to place your tree out for pickup, now is your last chance.
- The 2023 Neighborhood Grant Program is Open! Applications are due February 20 by 4:30 p.m.
- Public Hearing for Substantial Amendment to 2021 Action Plan - The City of Madison Community Development Division (CDD) and CDBG Committee invite you to provide feedback on the use of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 funds--specifically, on HOME Investment Partnerships American Rescue Plan (HOME-ARP) funds allocated to the City by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The City proposes to use its allocation of HOME-ARP funds on the development of affordable supportive housing. Additional information on housing needs and community input are in the draft HOME-ARP Substantial Amendment to CDD's 2021 Action Plan.
- Winter Prom 2023: Register today for Winter Prom 2023 and join us on Saturday, January28! This event is perfect for kids aged 13 & younger. Advanced registration is required.
- Lake Monona Waterfront Design Challenge: Public Event Series: Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 5:30pm, at the Madison Public Library - Central Library, 201 W Mifflin St.
Email to a friend