Alder Regina Vidaver
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Vidaver’s Updates
March for our lives, Metro Transit Redesign, West High construction, Development update, Events and announcements,
It's not what you say. It's what people hear. – Frank Luntz
In my last message, I wrote something that, unfortunately, some people perceived as a statement that I did not support or believe in our country's Constitution. Nothing could be further from the truth. Part of my oath of office was to uphold the Constitution in my duties. I take that oath seriously. What I have trouble with is the people who interpret the words of the 2nd Amendment to justify sitting on their hands while our citizens are slaughtered. I don't believe the current situation is what our founding fathers intended or wanted.
To be clear, these are my personal opinions. As an Alder, I have no role regarding this issue, because state statutes preempt municipalities from enacting any restrictions more stringent than the state. That's why the March for our Lives rally will be held on the steps of the State Capitol on Saturday, June 11 at 3pm.
Metro Transit Network Redesign
- Route X, serving Mineral Point Rd and Speedway, will run all day rather than only during peak hours (page 12).
- Route E will travel on Franklin unless or until Ridge Street is redeveloped with curb, gutter, and sidewalk on at least one side (page 17).
It is important to understand this is still not the final plan. The plan will be reviewed via a Title VI equity analysis, and any modifications needed to conform to that analysis will be made prior to the initial roll out of the redesigned service in 2023. Even then, routes will continue to be evaluated, and modifications made as ridership is examined.
Area Development Update
- 2208 University Ave (Don the Car Care Man site) – the affordable housing complex at this site is under construction. Planned opening in spring/summer 2023.
- 3734 Speedway (Stop-n-Go/Kwik Trip site) – the mixed use development is undergoing site review with the City. Demolition of the existing building is expected later this summer/fall.
- 3005 University Ave (Smoky's) – Bagel's Forever is suing for prescriptive easement on this property, delaying the demolition and construction plans. If the suit is settled, the expectation is demolition will begin late summer/early fall, with construction starting in early 2023 and opening in spring 2024.
- Potential developments (no plans yet): 3802 Mineral Point Rd (Moore's Towing) and 1711 University Ave (former church). If these developers decide to move forward, we will hold neighborhood meetings to discuss the plans.
West High School Construction
I have heard from several neighbors about construction noise at West High well past the 7pm cutoff required by our noise ordinance. Multiple entities have been contacted, including the developer, City building inspection, and MMSD. I am hopeful the issue has been resolved, but should you experience ongoing construction noise past 7pm, please be in touch, or feel free to call the MPD non-emergency line at (608) 255-2345.
MWABA provided this summary of the construction.
Events & Announcements
- Kids summer programming at Madison Public Library kicks off today!
- Safety Saturday is tomorrow, from 8am-1pm on the Capitol Square.
- Volunteer opportunities for the 2022 Juneteenth Celebration June 14-19 are now open.
- Vilas Park Drive will be closed June 13-17. View the Vilas Park Drive Changes video.
- Make Music Madison, an event bringing our community together to celebrate the power of live music, happens on June 21.
- Opera in the Park is coming to Garner Park, 333 S. Rosa Road, on July 23 at 8pm.
- Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a free community celebration on Saturday, July 23, from 6:30pm-9:45pm at its William T. Evjue Rooftop Gardens. The event will feature local and regional bands, dance performances, and conclude with a spectacular drone show over Lake Monona.
Email to a friend