Women's Pro Soccer, New Reports Available, Town Hall on Assessments May 22, Meetings, Events and Announcements
In case you missed it, Madison has just announced that we will be getting a new women’s pro soccer league! Welcome Women’s Pro Soccer!
Several reports that may be of interest have been recently released:
- Farmland Preservation Task Force
- Quarterly Update from the Madison Police Department
- Water Quality Report
- Draft Annual Update to the Madison Comprehensive Plan
- Clean Lakes Alliance State of the Lakes Report (and check out this amazing video about the history of our lakes)
I also wanted to alert you to an upcoming town hall, hosted by Alder Tishler, with our City Assessor on May 22 at 7pm at the Sequoya Library. The title of the presentation is “Property assessment in Madison: Understanding the taxation puzzle and finding your voice." While Alder Tishler is the host of this town hall, all are welcome to attend. If you cannot attend in person but would like to attend via Zoom, please email Alder Tishler.
Bartillon Shelter Public Meeting – May 17, 5:30-7pm, Hawthorne Library.
The City of Madison is collaborating with Dane County to plan for and design a purpose-built shelter facility that will serve primarily men in our community who experience homelessness. The facility, to be built at 1904 Bartillon Drive, will be Madison’s first purpose-built shelter. Please join the City of Madison, Dane County and Porchlight, Inc at one of the three upcoming public information meetings to get an overview of the project, pre-design concepts and information on next steps.
- May 17, 6-7:30pm and May 20, 10am-12pm: Edna Taylor Volunteer Day - Madison Parks and the Friends of Edna Taylor Conservation Park are seeking volunteers in conservation to assist in removing invasive plants in the park. Participants will learn plant identification, conservation methods, and help remove garlic mustard.
- May 18, 10-11am: Voices of Color with Host Melvin Hinton - Our community is a rich mix of many different cultures. Being an inclusive community means learning about and appreciating our differences. Join this presentation to learn about and meet individuals whose diverse leadership is shaping the future of our community.
- May 18, 7-8:30pm: Wright Design Series: Taliesin Then and Now - Ryan Hewson has been a preservation staff member at Taliesin since 2008. In his current role, he is responsible for the oversight and planning of preservation. In this presentation, you’ll learn about the history of the buildings on the Taliesin property that served as Wright’s architectural laboratory, and preservation techniques and plans that are underway.
- May 19, June 3, and June 5: Tell Us! Community Conversations to provide feedback on our libraries, and share your views for future service at Madison's west side libraries. All sessions will be held at the Monroe Street branch.
- May 19 & May 26, 5pm-8pm: Annual Spring Break-A-Way 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament Series – Warner Park Recreation Center. Northside teens compete in a double-elimination tournament while enjoying a free meal.
- May 20, 8-10am: Volunteer Day at The Glen - The Glen Golf Park is establishing an ongoing volunteer program that helps volunteers learn, grow personally, and gain professional experience. Projects vary and include land management of natural areas - weeding, planting, seed collection, woody plant removal; Horticultural detailing - maintaining landscape beds, mulching, weeding; and more!
- May 20, 9am-12pm: Heritage Sanctuary Volunteer Day - Madison Parks is seeking volunteers in conservation to assist in removing invasive plants in Heritage Sanctuary Conservation Park. Participants will learn plant identification, conservation methods, ecological restoration efforts and methods, as well as park history.
- May 20, 10-11:30am: Bird & Nature Adventures – Starkweather Creek Area - Explore the Creek with James Winkelman ~ Join James Winkelman and Friends of Starkweather Creek for a free fun family-friendly canoe outing or take a healthy nature walk, bike ride or canoe outing any day in May along Starkweather Creek!
- May 20, 8:30am-3:30pm: HUD-Approved Homebuyer Education - Take the first step to owning a home, and join this Home Buyer Education Workshop at the Villager Mall on Park. This FREE HUD-Approved homebuyer education workshop takes place in person and lunch is provided.
- May 21, 11am-7pm: WORTstock - WORT 89.9 FM Community Radio's multicultural live music festival with food and craft vendors, info tables, prize raffle, and children's activities returns to Warner Park.
- May 21, 1:30-3pm: Bird & Nature Adventures – Warner Park ~ Join Naturalist Steven Ansorge to look for and learn about the fascinating world of Lichens! These simple-looking growths on rocks and trees are surprisingly complex hybrid organisms based on a symbiotic (mutually beneficial) combination of fungus and algae.
- May 21, 4-7pm: Movie at The Glen – Moana - Grab a blanket or bring a lawn chair and head over to The Glen for yard games and a movie. All are welcome!
- June 2, 5-7pm: Call for an end to gun violence with Public Health Madison Dane County and other partners – Meadowood Park.
SAVE THE DATE!
Meadowlands and Tree Lane Resource Fairs: Does your organization provide activities, resources, or services that could benefit the children and families living in the Meadowlands and Tree Lane Apartments this summer? Public Health Madison Dane County is hosting resource fairs at each of these locations in May:
- Meadowlands Apartments – 6810 Milwaukee St., May 20th 12-3pm
- Tree Lane Family Apartments – 7933 Tree Ln., May 24th 3-6 pm
- Lake Monona Waterfront Design Challenge Team Selection: Madison Parks is pleased to announce the team selection in the Lake Monona Waterfront Design Challenge!
- Food scraps recycling returns to South Madison Farmer’s Market – every Tuesday from 2-6pm.
- Violence Prevention grants call for proposals have been released – due June 2.
- Introducing the New City of Madison Forester Ian Brown: The City of Madison is happy to announce Ian Brown as the new City of Madison Forester.
- Check out Madison’s Everyday Engineering podcasts!