Alder Nasra Wehelie
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Wehelie’s Updates
Protect Your Home's Pipes From Freezing
2022 is off to a frigid start. It is important for home and business owners to protect their water pipes from freezing or bursting during our coldest time of year.
Water Meters and Pipes:
- Double-check outdoor hose bibs to make sure all hoses are disconnected and faucets are turned off and drained.
- Make sure your basement is properly insulated, and check for areas where cold air may be rushing in.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas like crawl spaces, unheated garages, and attics.
- Leave some heat on in unused areas of your home.
- If you leave home for a few days, keep your thermostat on at least 55 degrees and open any cabinets where sink plumbing is against an outside wall.
- Never try to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame.
- Ensure your furnace vents are clear of snow and ice. A clogged furnace vent can cause a backup of toxic carbon monoxide in your home.
- Find the master shut off valve that turns off the water to your entire home – it's usually in the basement – and make sure everyone in the household knows where it is in case a pipe does freeze and burst.
Clearing Snow from Fire Hydrants:
Madison Water Utility cares for the city's 9,009 fire hydrants. If a hydrant is lost or buried in snow, firefighters can lose valuable time trying to locate it when they first arrive at a fire. Please help keep this critical part of our water system ready in case of a fire by clearing snow from the hydrants near your home.
If you are interested in the "Adopt-A-Hydrant" program, please send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email to a friend