Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of May 29, 2023
- **City administrative offices, including the Common Council Office, will be closed on Monday, May 29, in observance of Memorial Day. All emergency services will be open; please call 911. Use Report-a-Problem for non-emergencies that can wait until the next City working day.**
- **Metro Service Reduced on Monday, May 29. Due to Memorial Day, buses will operate HOLIDAY schedules on Monday, May 29.**
- The Metro Transit Network Redesign will go into effect Sunday, June 11. It has been 20 years since the last redesign, all routes, schedules and bus numbers will change to letters. Below are a couple resources to help you navigate the changes!
- Plan your trip with Metro Staff! Visit with Metro staff at the following events and plan your new bus trip! See a full list of dates and locations HERE!
- Frequently Asked Questions on New Service
- **Summer is the time for sun and fun but it is also a time for road construction! Learn more about the active road projects happening in your neighborhood and around Madison by visiting the Road Construction webpage on the City of Madison Engineering webpage HERE! Make sure to subscribe to their emails list to receive regular Road Construction Updates!**
Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee: The Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee will take place in-person on Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at the Parks Division Lakeside Offices. Agenda items includes review and discussion on the draft of Sasaki scope of services, discussion on Sasaki's visit to Madison in June and more!
Community Development Block Grant Committee: The Community Development Block Grant Committee takes place in-person on Thursday, June 1, 2023 in Room 215 in the Madison Municipal Building. Agenda items include authorizing an amendment of the contract between the City of Madison and Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin (CAC) to provide housing stability services, approving a loan to YWCA Madison, Inc. from the Community Facilities Loan Program to help finance the rehabilitation of programming space at the Empowerment Center located at 2040 S. Park Street, and more!
- Park Development Plans - Northeast Area Listening Session, Tuesday, May 30, 2023: Madison Parks is set to begin a planning process that will result in park development plans for neighborhood and mini parks in the Northeast area of Madison. The area follows the boundary identified for the Planning Division's Northeast Area Plan.
- Northeast Area Plan Community Engagement VIRTUAL Meeting, Tuesday, May 30, 2023: The City of Madison Planning Division would like to invite you to one of the two upcoming public engagement meetings where we will be discussing the future of the Northeast Area. We have already collected valuable feedback from the community, and we would like to report back to you and hear your thoughts. Both meetings will have the same content. Spanish interpretation, childcare assistance, and light refreshment will be provided for the in-person discussion.
- John Nolen Drive Watershed Study, Tuesday, May 30, 2023: A public information meeting has been scheduled for 6 p.m., May 30, 2023, via Zoom. Registration prior is required: May 30, 2023 Public Information Meeting Registration. The City of Madison is completing a watershed study in the John Nolen Drive watershed (as shown below). The City of Madison contracted with an engineering consulting firm to complete this study.
- Northeast Area Plan Community Engagement IN-PERSON Meeting, Wednesday, May 31, 2023: The City of Madison Planning Division would like to invite you to one of the two upcoming public engagement meetings where we will be discussing the future of the Northeast Area. We have already collected valuable feedback from the community, and we would like to report back to you and hear your thoughts. Both meetings will have the same content. Spanish interpretation, childcare assistance, and light refreshment will be provided for the in-person discussion.
- Park Development Plans - Northeast Area Listening Session, Thursday, June 1, 2023: Madison Parks is set to begin a planning process that will result in park development plans for neighborhood and mini parks in the Northeast area of Madison. The area follows the boundary identified for the Planning Division's Northeast Area Plan.
- Beaches and Splash Parks Opening for the Season: As warmer temperatures creep into the Madison area, splash parks and beaches officially open for the season on Saturday, May 27.
- Overdose Spike Alert: Risk of Drug Overdose Increased in Dane County : Public Health Madison & Dane County is issuing a public health alert due to an increase, or spike, in drug overdoses in our community.
- Intersection Closure--Regent Street & Park Street: For the week of Tuesday, May 30, approximately half of the intersection of Regent Street & Park Street will be closed to traffic for the installation of sanitary sewer.
- Blue-Green Algae Bloom Closes Spring Harbor Beach: On Wednesday, Public Health Madison & Dane County closed Spring Harbor beach for swimming due to a large blue-green algae bloom.
- City of Madison Seeks Short Poems for 2023 Bus Lines Program: The Madison Poet Laureate is seeking short poems from Madison residents to be considered for the annual Bus Lines poetry project.
- New Artist-in-Residence at Central Library: MADISON, WI -- The Bubbler at Madison Public Library is welcoming a new Artist-in-Residence at Central Library.
- Mayor’s Purchase Award of Reflected Memories by Christopher Sweet exhibited at new Parks Lakeside Offices: City of Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes Conway selected Reflected Memories by Christopher Sweet, for the 2023 Mayor’s Purchase Award.
- Street Closure--South Paterson Street: The current closure of South Paterson Street between East Washington Avenue and East Main Street will remain in place long term—thru spring 2024 to facilitate the building construction at 849 East Washington Avenue, “Baker…
- Street Closures--Run Madtown 5K, 10K, & Half Marathon: Several Madison streets will be closed for the Run Madtown races on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
- Upcoming Atwood Avenue Traffic Switch Happening May 24: (MADISON, Wis.)—A traffic switch will take place on the Atwood Avenue reconstruction project beginning Wednesday, May 24, 2023.
- No Streets Division Collections on Memorial Day, May 29, 2023: There will be no recycling, trash, brush, or large item collections performed by the City of Madison Streets Division on Monday, May 29, 2023 in observance of the Memorial Day holiday.
- East Side Farmers' Market, Tuesday, May 30, 2023: The Eastside Farmers' Market is Madison Wisconsin’s finest weekday farmers' market. Our goal is to bring the freshest Wisconsin grown food direct to the heart of the East side. Our vendor members are agricultural producers and food artisans who make value added products from Wisconsin's agricultural bounty.
- Public Health’s Violence Prevention Unit is hosting a virtual session on Restorative Justice. The session takes place on Wednesday, May 31st from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. The virtual session is free but registration is required: https://bit.ly/vp_webinar10. The session will be recorded and made available on Public Health’s Violence Prevention Unit webpage.
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday Market, Wednesday, May 31, 2023: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in between the Madison Municipal Building and the City County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers’ Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- The Capitol View Farmers’ Market, Wednesday, May 31, 2023: The Capitol View Farmers Market is returning to the North Star Neighborhood! Join us each Wednesday (May 31-October 11, 2023) from 3:00-7:00pm to support local farmers and vendors, enjoy live music and food carts, and make the most of summer in Madison!
- Concerts on the Rooftop: The LoveMonkeys, Thursday, June 1, 2023: This crazy group of guys plays instruments, jumps around on stage, and has a curious fondness for animals of the primate variety. The LoveMonkeys blend rock, pop and reggae into one of the most fun and original performances in the Midwest.
- Wellness Talks: Is There Gain from Pain?, Friday, June 2, 2023: Caught in a vicious cycle of stress? Feeling physically tired yet mentally wired? Join bodywork therapist Miranda Merkes LMT and naturopathic doctor Ruddy ND for joint discussion in dispelling myths often in the way of true recovery and long-term wellness. They’ll provide a holistic map on how to help guide your daily bodymind practice in regaining its deeper connection and uncovering your full healing potential.
- Live at The Glen-Vince Sweeney, Friday, June 2, 2023: Live at The Glen featuring Vince Sweeney! Enjoy the relaxing music of acoustic guitarist and singer Vince Sweeney, a native Madisonian whose expansive song list spans decades. From Neil Young to The Beatles, from the Eagles to Dylan, Springsteen, Petty and many more, Sweeney strings together great cover songs that add up to an enjoyable evening of free live music on the patio at The Glen Golf Park.
- Take Kids Fishing, Saturday, June 3, 2023: Register today for our annual Take Kids Fishing event! Every kid gets a free fishing pole, T-shirt, and we will be serving a picnic lunch!
- Kids Fishing Day, Saturday, June 3, 2023: Every year the Yahara Fishing Club sponsors this event, which is on the same weekend that an adult fishing license is not required. It has been at the Warner Park Lagoon from 9:00 am to noon. A lot of fish are usually caught, including a couple good-sized large mouth bass and a lot of decent blue gills.
- Cars on State, Saturday, June 3, 2023: One of Madison's finest downtown summer traditions, the 14th Annual Classic Car Show will be held Saturday, June 3rd. This free show spans six blocks of State Street in Downtown Madison. This family-friendly event offers a perfect day for everyone to come downtown, take a stroll around the Farmers Market on the Square and see a wonderful array of vintage cars. You can talk to the owners, grab a bite to eat, and shop at locally owned downtown businesses. Car enthusiasts can explore the history and unique characteristics of classic cars and trucks.
- WIARNG, Saturday, June 3, 2023: Meet fellow Wisconsinites serving our community in the Wisconsin Army National Guard. See and touch equipment like helicoptiors, trucks and special equipment.
- Pride Ride, Saturday, June 3, 2023: "Let’s ride for Pride": Trek and Forward Madison FC are teaming up once again to celebrate Pride Month and Bike Week with the 2023 Pride Ride! Meet us at Breese Stevens Field where we’ll head out on a 9-mile no-drop group ride to Olin Park and back. Stick around after the ride to enjoy some block party vibes at the field before Forward Madison takes on the Central Valley Fuego later that evening.