Alder Max Prestigiacomo
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Prestigiacomo’s Updates
DISTRICT UPDATE 10/05/20
Per usual, the census data reflects a dismal student population. Be sure to share with friends because this ultimately determines resource allocation to specific demographics.
- Henry Mall, Fluno Center (students and faculty)
- Ogg Hall, Frank Holt Center (university housing)
- Testing process and steps outlined here: www.uhs.wisc.edu/medical/testing/
Madison-area Testing Sites
2020 ELECTION INFORMATION
- See Madison Voting Guide for Nov 3rd Voting Steps.
1033 Program (Council Vote on 10/06)
The 1033 Program is a direct connection from the City of Madison Police Department to the Military-Industrial Complex. There is currently a recommendation to adopt with exceptions that: (1) still allow procurement of lethal tools, (2) allow MPD to procure supplies under 50k without Council approval first, and (3) only restrict MPD from procuring tear gas, bayonets, grenade launchers, grenades, explosives, armor-piercing firearms, and ammunition, tracked combat vehicles and weaponized drones. Any exception to prohibition is still a direct link to the Military-Industrial Complex, whether we call it that or not. I will be introducing an amendment on Tuesday night to return it to its original language severing the link completely between MPD and the 1033 Program.
- Written Comments: You can send comments on agenda items to email@example.com
- Register but Do Not Speak: You can register your support or opposition to an agenda item at https://www.cityofmadison.com/MeetingRegistration
- 1033 is Agenda Item #64
- Register to Speak or Answer Questions: If you wish to speak at the virtual meeting on an agenda item, you must register. You can register at https://www.cityofmadison.com/MeetingRegistration. When you register to speak, you will be sent an email with the information you will need to join the virtual meeting.
- Watch the Meeting: You can call-in or watch the Common Council meeting in several ways:
- Livestream on the Madison City Channel website: https://media.cityofmadison.com/mediasite/showcase
- Livestream on the City of Madison YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CityofMadison
- Television: Watch live on Spectrum channel 994 and AT&T U-Verse channel 99 •Listen to audio via phone: (877) 853-5257 (Toll-Free) Webinar ID: 975 3859 1612
UW-Madison Resolution: Calling on UW-Madison Administrators to make changes to the 'Smart Restart' Plan.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison has been pushing through with a plan that many of us who live on campus are seeing play out first hand. The truth is that no one, not Becky Blank, not the UW scientists, nor any Alder can say the data shows a mitigation of all risk. It's impossible to predict the outcome. We've tried and failed already many times during this pandemic. Because of this, we must do everything to take away the opportunity for those to risk others' safety. We know that whatever we do, the most marginalized and disenfranchised will be most impacted by these decisions. When our leaders have said they have reduced the risk to a minimum while balancing fiscal constraints, they, in effect, accept that any unpredicted harm will likely be on low-income BIPOC in Madison. I won't accept this and am introducing this Resolution to be voted on at the October 20th Council Meeting. On October 1st, the County Board of Supervisors passed a similar resolution by 24 votes. It's time for the City to stand in solidarity as well.
Repeals the current City ordinance regulating the use and possession of cannabis
- Individuals 18 years or older may possess up to 28 grams of cannabis or cannabis derivatives on private or public property with permission of owner, with exception of the prohibitions in MGO 23.05 smoking regulations (see #62422 below)
- Prohibits consumption in a motor vehicle in operation
- Mirrors state statute in permitting possession and consumption by individuals with a prescription for cannabis of derivatives
Creates an exception to the current City regulations of possession of drug paraphernalia to allow for possession of paraphernalia to use cannabis as authorized in MGO 23.20 as repealed and recreated in #62417 above
Creates a definition of "cannabis" and "cannabis derivative" in the "Smoking prohibited in certain areas" section of the City code
- Includes "cannabis or cannabis derivative" in the definition of "smoking" and "smoke-free."
- Incorporates cannabis and cannabis derivatives into the existing City regulations on smoking and smoke-free areas.
Facial Recognition technology is dangerously untested and unregulated. Data already shows how this technology's usage could impact our community and, most importantly, marginalized communities. This technology has also been found to have racial bias and inaccuracies that could have disastrous and fatal consequences for marginalized people in our community.
The 2021 Budget deliberations have begun. City budgets are an opportunity to make direct financial commitments and set overall goals for equity and sustainability. I'll be posting an update with information on the upcoming budget, how to testify, and some goals for District 8.
Email to a friend