Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan
Welcome to the Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan
The City of Madison invites you to join us as we create the Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan! We’ll work with residents, community organizations, neighborhood associations, businesses and others to chart course of action for 10-15 years of land use, transportation, parks and open space and other elements of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
The plan will update the 2001 neighborhood plan and explore new opportunities like Bus Rapid Transit, Wisconsin DOT's upcoming redesign of Stoughton Road and recommendations in the nearby Greater East Towne Area Plan.
We’ll also cover many other issues that matter to the community. Think about what you would like to see. How about public art, community events and activities, or jobs skills education and training. Not everything will be possible through this plan, but let’s start dreaming of what could be, and figure out how to make it happen!
How can I participate?
- Sign up for Phase 2 Virtual Meetings - Initial Concepts and Recommendations:
- Join us for:
- Community Gathering and Neighborhood Plan Dialogue August 25, 4-7 p.m., Hawthorne Elementary Open Space, Lexington/Christianson Ave. There will be a rain date of September 1, if weather conditions are unfavorable.
- Splish Splash Concept Review August 27, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Reindahl Park Splash Pad, 1818 Portage Rd.
- Food Pantry Feedback, East Madison Community Center, 7 Straubel Ct. August 30 and September 6, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Madison College, Wright St., September 6 and 7, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Also use the links on the right side of this webpage to:
- Sign up for email updates and get notifications for upcoming meetings and events
- Let us know your thoughts and see others on our interactive commenting map
- Check out the Map and Data Book for background information about land use, transportation, neighborhood assets and much more
- Contact the Project Team
- May 19th - Walking Audit
- Phase 1 Meeting Video
- Schedule a presentation about the plan for your group
Timeline and Public Participation
The Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan process is expected to take approximately one year, with three phases of public input and engagement.
- Phase 1: Issues and Opportunities
January - April 2022
- Phase 2: Initial Concepts and Recommendation Framework
April - September 2022
- Phase 3: Draft Document Review and Approval
September 2022 - Early 2023
Subscribe to Email List
Interactive Commenting Map
Tell us what you love about the neighborhood, your ideas for improvement and areas that need attention using the interactive commenting map. You can ask questions and check out other peoples' responces as well.
Meetings and Events
Request a Presentation
Got a group interested in learning more about the Hawthorne-Truax Neighborhood Plan? Contact project staff to request a presentation.