Get the latest Employee Updates, information on working from home, policies, and data related to COVID-19.
IT Support During COVID-19
As we continue to navigate the changing landscape of the COVID-19 pandemic, we expect to have more employees working from home than ever before. Please recognize that there may be a delay in responding to requests as we accommodate this increase in telework.
Information Technology will provide technical support for City-owned devices and services on the City network. We will not be able to troubleshoot employees’ home technology services.
Help Desk Support
The Help Desk is here to help you with:
- Problems with a City-owned device (laptop, tablet).
- Problems with connecting to the City network.
- Problems installing City-approved essential software.
- Problems with your password and/or account.
- Problems accessing software, or do not have the software that you need to do your job.
- Problems accessing Remote Desktop Connections on your personal device.
It is your responsibility to troubleshoot:
- Problems with your home Wi-Fi or Internet service.
- Please contact your Internet Service Provider for this assistance.
- Problems with your personal devices, including mobile devices.
- Please note that the HelpDesk cannot:
- Install City-issued software (such as MS Office, Adobe) on personal devices due to licensing restrictions.
- Provide on-site or in-home assistance.
- Support any new tools or software that the City does not already provide.
In-Person IT Support During COVID-19
Though IT staff and the IT Help Desk can resolve many issues remotely, some tasks still need in-person support, such as advanced troubleshooting or hardware modifications for your City-owned device. If you need assistance with your City-owned device, please follow the guidelines below to ensure safe and healthy interactions with Information Technology (IT) staff.
Appointments Required for In-person Support
During COVID-19, all in-person Help Desk support is by appointment only. Contact the Help Desk to set-up an appointment to deliver or set up your equipment. Walk-in or “stop-by” assistance is not allowed, in efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect IT staff.
Contact the Help Desk for a Service Appointment
Please include the following in your request.
- Your full name.
- Your agency.
- Telephone number.
- A brief description of the issue. (When did it start happening? Does anyone else around you have the same problem? Did you recently get any new software?)
What to Expect
Symptom Self-Screening Policy
Please follow your department’s Symptom Self-Screening Policy prior to coming to the City-County Building for your Help Desk service appointment. All Help Desk staff are also following this policy. The mutual adherence to a Symptom Self-Screening Policy will aid in reducing the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace, keeping City staff healthy and safe.
Bring Equipment to the Help Desk
When scheduling an appointment, Help Desk staff will tell you where to drop off or pick up equipment. This is to ensure that everyone can practice safe social distancing and proper sanitation.
Clean Your Workspace
If the Help Desk will be setting up or configuring technology within your workspace, please clean surfaces that are frequently touched (e.g., desks, countertops, electronics, doorknobs) just prior to your appointment.
Avoid Close Contact
When scheduling an appointment, identify a time when you will not be present in your workspace and arrange appropriate access for Help Desk staff. If you have to be present, please wear a mask and allow for a distance of at least six feet between you and Help Desk staff at all times.
Drop-offs & Pick-ups
When dropping off or picking up equipment, avoid handing and taking equipment directly from Help Desk staff. Instead, allow staff to pick up the item, install or remove equipment without physical contact. Help Desk staff will walk you through the expectations of this process prior to your appointment.
We appreciate your patience!
Help Desk staff are taking extra precautions to adhere to CDC safety and social distancing guidelines, including the sanitization of all technology hardware and equipment. Staff may need additional time to prepare for appointments, to ensure safe support delivery for customers.