Printing & Copying
- Set print/copy mode to automatically duplex (double sided) printing.
- Set Default setting to print to grayscale.
- Enable color printing only when need is justified.
- Create PDF documents to file electronically.
- Do a one page test before printing multiple copies of a document.
- Analyze department current printing practices to promote electronic filing or archiving of documents.
- Set up folder to receive faxes electronically without printing.
- Designate employee to distribute and email incoming fax documents.
- Eliminate fax cover sheets. Put identifying information within the content of documents you send, or use mini fax post-it notes to eliminate the need for cover sheets entirely.
Using Multi-function Devices & Confidential Printing
- Use password/code to print to multifunction devices. This helps unclog the prints and copies sitting on the machine.
Reduce Paper Use
- Print preview to ensure proper printing preferences.
- Use a spelling and grammar check before printing.
- Print draft copies with small margins and font size.
- Set up electronic email archive folders to file electronically.
- Circulate memos electronically, create email distribution lists for your Department, Office, etc.
- Scan, save, and distribute a document by email.
- Set up a bulletin board in a common area to post messages.
- Set up a collection tray near your printing station for paper printed on only one side.
- Reuse pages printed on one side for drafts and scratch.
- Reuse envelopes and shipping boxes.
- Place a recycling bin near the network printer or MFD.