A Torch Starts Fire that Causes $35,000 in Damage

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - 9:32am
Arrival
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - 9:36am
Address
500 Block Northport Dr
Madison, WI 53704
Narrative

A torch started an apartment fire Wednesday morning that caused $35,000.

Maintenance personnel had been using a torch to work on some bathroom plumbing, when they noticed smoke within a wall and called 911. Occupants exited the building safely, after the fire alarm was activated in the 8-unit apartment complex.

Firefighters responded around 9:30 am to the 500 block of Northport Drive. Crews entered a second floor apartment and noticed smoke. They found that fire had traveled up the wall and into the attic area. Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes.

No injuries were reported, but the occupants are displaced until power can be restored by MG&E.

Red Cross was notified to assist with temporary housing and emergency needs.

Posted 01/08/2020 - 1:43pm
Contacts

Bernadette Galvez, 608-243-0180