Apartment Sprinkler Extinguishes Grill Fire

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 9:11pm
Address
1600 Block Waldorf Boulevard
Madison, WI 53719
Narrative

City of Madison firefighters were dispatched to an apartment fire when a passerby called 911 to report seeing flames on a balcony in the 1600 block of Waldorf Boulevard at the Mid Town Commons Apartments just after 9:00 pm on Wednesday.

The fire was reported to have started when a charcoal grill caught the third floor apartment’s balcony on fire. Before fire crews arrived, the apartment’s fire sprinkler system activated on the balcony.

A resident of the apartment told firefighters he was grilling bacon on the balcony. It was found that heat from the flare up caused the activation of the sprinkler system. No smoke or fire damage was found to the interior of the apartment.

City of Madison fire code prohibits the use of natural gas or charcoal grills on decks or balconies or within ten feet of combustible construction unless the balcony or deck is protected by automatic sprinklers. The automatic sprinkler system limited damage to the grill, and the residents of the complex were able to stay in their apartments.

Posted 07/26/2019 - 5:44pm
Contacts

Bernadette Galvez, bgalvez@cityofmadison.com