Basement Fire Displaces Family Of Six
Madison Fire Department investigators determined this fire originated in the laundry dryer, located in the basement. The fire has been ruled accidental and unintentional in nature, but the exact cause is unknown. Investigators cannot rule out the possibility that the fire began in the lint trap, in the exhaust tubing, or was the result of an electrical or mechanical failure within the dryer. Estimated property damage is $20,000 with an additional $5,000 in damaged contents.
A Madison woman and her children arrived home this afternoon to find smoke coming from the basement. The family immediately evacuated and called 911.
Moments later, fire crews arrived on scene. Firefighters were directed to the entrance nearest to the basement, where they observed light gray smoke coming from a first-floor window and dark smoke coming from a dryer vent.
Engine Company 3 encountered thick dark smoke as they descended the stairs. Fire was found in the laundry room and quickly knocked down. Meanwhile, Ladder Company 8 performed search and rescue. No other occupants were inside the home at the time of the fire.
Neighbors and volunteers from the American Red Cross came to assist the family of six with temporary necessities, including food and housing.
Nobody was injured during the incident, and the cause of the fire is under investigation. Damage estimates are not yet available.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer), 608-261-5539, firstname.lastname@example.org