Closed Flue Contributes To Overwhelming Smoke In West Side Basement

Incident Type: 
Smoke Scare
Dispatch: 
Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 10:36pm
Arrival: 
Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 10:42pm
Address: 
1100 block N. Gammon Road
Madison, WI
Narrative: 

Ladder Co. 2 and other MFD crews responded to the 1100 block of N. Gammon Road for a report of a basement fire that had been extinguished. All occupants were able to safely evacuate with the dog. They advised firefighters they’d had a fire in the fireplace and the basement immediately filled with smoke. One of the residents put out the fire but the amount of smoke filling the basement was overwhelming, and they called the fire department for help.

Ladder 2 entered the basement and did find smoke banked to the floor. A thermal imaging camera confirmed there was no remaining heat or fire associated with the smoke. Firefighters set up some positive pressure ventilation fans to clear the smoke from the home. The crew noted that the flue of the fireplace was closed, which contributed to the fast buildup of smoke. They opened the flue to also aide their own ventilation efforts.

With the smoke and some residual carbon monoxide cleared, the occupants were able to safely return inside.

Posted 01/17/2022 - 5:10am
Contacts: 

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)