Construction Site Evacuated Wednesday After Excavator Strikes Gas Main
A substantial gas leak occurred Wednesday after an excavator struck a natural gas main during construction operations.
Multiple 911 calls were made to Dane County 911 Public Safety Communications reporting smells of natural gas in the area. Engine Company 12 responded along with MGE and Madison Police.
Firefighters established a perimeter around the leak, evacuated all construction workers from the danger zone, and ordered all equipment to be shut off. Engine 12 could see and hear the pressurized gas shooting upward from a hole near the sidewalk.
Madison Police provided traffic control as MGE responded. The safety perimeter was expanded, and firefighters continued to stand by as MGE technicians clamped the gas line.
MGE and MFD used air monitors to re-assess the area and found no lingering gas or atmospheric concerns. MGE remained on scene to continue with repairs.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)