Discarded Charcoal Presumed Cause Of Large Dumpster Fire That Spread to Nearby Fence

Incident Type
Trash/Rubbish
Dispatch
Monday, April 5, 2021 - 9:04am
Arrival
Monday, April 5, 2021 - 9:07am
Address
6500 Block Raymond Road
Madison, WI
Narrative

Ladder Co. 7 responded to an outside fire on Raymond Road Monday morning. MPD was on location and directed firefighters toward a fenced-in dumpster area. Flames were showing from the top of a dumpster and also extending to a chain link fence next to it, melting the plastic privacy strips that were woven into the links. Ladder 7 deployed their 100-foot bumper line to extinguish the fire. The dumpster was removed from the storage area to ensure no further fire spread.

A bystander reported placing used charcoal in the dumpster prior to the fire. She believed the coals were cold when she did so and was unaware of the heat still inside the materials.

Safety Reminder: Over the past four days, the Madison Fire Department has seen an uptick of fires inside garbage containers and dumpsters. The cause of these fires may be related to discarded coals and ashes from a grill or following an outdoor fire.

The public is reminded that coals and ashes can retain heat for up to 72 hours. To reduce the chances of starting a fire that could spread to your home, garage, or other structures, discard the coals and ashes into a metal container, douse the coals with water, and keep the container at least 10 feet from your home or any other nearby buildings in case a fire does occur. Capping the container with a tight lid will deprive the coals/ashes of the oxygen needed to start a fire.

Posted 04/06/2021 - 9:53am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)