Downtown Porch Fire Believed To Be Caused By Improperly Discarded Cigarettes
Thursday, June 30, 2022 - 5:02pm
Thursday, June 30, 2022 - 5:05pm
100 block E. Johnson Street
The Madison Fire Department was called to a downtown apartment building when a porch fire outside spurred a smoke alarm in a nearby apartment.
Firefighters arrived to the 100 block of East Johnson Street to find a small wooden porch on fire. Engine Co. 1 and Ladder Co. 1 extinguished the fire and pulled away the porch to confirm fire had not spread to the house. Crews found several cigarette butts in the area, along with leaf litter and debris. An occupant confirmed he was smoking on this porch approximately two hours prior to the fire department being called. The wind that afternoon is believed to have aided the start and spread of the fire.
Posted 07/01/2022 - 2:23pm
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)