Dryer Fire Prompts Cafe Evacuation
A west side cafe and adjacent businesses were evacuated after a dryer fire was discovered in a back room of the cafe.
Employees had been drying laundry when they began to smell something burning. They checked it out but didn't notice anything amiss. At this time, they took out the laundry and returned to their work. About 15 minutes later, employees heard a “poof” in the back room and looked again, finding nothing. Moments later, they heard another “poof” and found fire in the dryer.
The store manager dialed 911 to summon the fire department and attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher. Everyone safely evacuated the cafe, and neighboring businesses were also evacuated. Engine Co. 12, Ladder Co. 2, and other west side fire crews arrived to 8406 Old Sauk Road at 9:23 a.m. Firefighters were met with thick smoke as they opened the door to the small room where the dryer was located. Crews entered and put out the fire with a water can extinguisher.
Firefighters checked the roof and neighboring businesses for signs of fire. Though smoke had spread to neighboring businesses, no additional signs of fire were found. Crews removed the dryer from the building and began to ventilate the cafe to clear out the smoke. Public Health Madison-Dane County was asked to respond.
Engine Co. 12 noted a couple of tripped electrical breakers but found no evidence of lint buildup in the dryer or exhaust vents. The exact cause of the dryer fire is unknown. No injuries were reported.