Incident Type: 
Friday, October 28, 2022 - 5:41pm
Friday, October 28, 2022 - 5:46pm
700 block N. Fair Oaks Avenue
Madison, WI

A fire discovered in an east side garage was traced to a cardboard box set on top of a hot grill.

The Madison Fire Department was dispatched to the area of Fair Oaks Avenue & Gannon Avenue for smoke seen from a garage. A homeowner flagged down firefighters and directed them toward the smoke. Crews noted a small amount of smoke coming from the eaves of a detached garage. They opened a side door to find dark smoke inside.

Engine 8 and Medic 8 began fire attack from the side door and worked their way inside, locating the seat of the fire near the garage door. After the fire was extinguished, some extension and smoldering materials were found in the garage attic. Ladder Co. 8 continued to overhaul and put out the last remains of fire.

The homeowner indicated he used his grill that afternoon to make dinner. Sometime later, he placed the grill in the garage and put a box on top of it, believing the grill was turned off and had cooled off enough. Homeowners saw smoke coming from the garage a while later and called 911. Nobody was injured.

Posted 11/01/2022 - 9:16am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)