East Side Restaurant Temporarily Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide Leak

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Saturday, December 2, 2017 - 4:45pm
Arrival
Saturday, December 2, 2017 - 4:49pm
Address
900 Block Williamson Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

Following complaints of an “odd smell” at a local eatery, firefighters ultimately discovered a carbon monoxide leak, causing a temporary evacuation of the restaurant.

Engine Company 3 responded from their Willy Street fire station to the BBQ Joint just down the street and entered the building with air monitors in hand. The Sensit monitor revealed slight levels of carbon monoxide upon entering the main floor. Firefighters proceeded to the basement, where the business owner stated the odd smell was coming from, and CO levels spiked to 800 parts per million.

Patrons were directed to evacuate the building until the carbon monoxide could be cleared out and its source identified. MGE was called as the fire crew pinpointed the carbon monoxide leak to the boiler room.

While ventilating the property, the Health Department was notified of the incident and advised that the business could continue operating as long as the air quality was safe.

Following ventilation, carbon monoxide levels remained at zero (0), and Engine 3 confirmed the building had working carbon monoxide detectors in place. Patrons were invited back inside within the hour.

Posted 12/04/2017 - 8:00am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)