Incident Type: 
Sunday, November 6, 2022 - 11:59am
Sunday, November 6, 2022 - 12:02pm
200 block South Allen Street
Madison, WI

Firefighters were called to the 200 block of South Allen Street for reports of home fire there. Crews arrived to find the homeowner standing outside with a garden house. The homeowner explained to Engine Co. 4 and Medic 4 that a fire began under the porch, where a space heater was kept to protect two exposed water pipes from the cold.

Engine Co. 4 pulled a bumper line and performed fire attack on the area of origin, knocking down the fire quickly. Ladder Co. 1 assisted with overhaul and searched for any fire spread within the walls, eaves, and basement.

Firefighters determined the cause of the fire was a malfunction within the space heater or from an extension cord being used at the time. The fire spread into some nearby insulation under the porch, which resulted in rapid fire spread.

Crews confirmed there was nobody inside the house at the time, and there were no injuries.

Posted 11/07/2022 - 4:57pm

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)