'Exit' Sign On the Fritz Sends Firefighters To UW Dormitory

Incident Type
Smoke Scare
Dispatch
Friday, November 15, 2019 - 9:30am
Arrival
Friday, November 15, 2019 - 9:32pm
Address
600 Block W. Johnson Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

A malfunctioning "Exit" sign is to blame for a fire alarm activation at Witte Hall on the UW-Madison campus.

Engine Co. 3 responded to the southeast campus dorm at 9:30 a.m., where students were already evacuating. The problem was traced to an illuminated “Exit” sign on the 4th floor that shorted out and began emitting smoke.

UW-Madison facilities staff isolated the "Exit" sign and will oversee repairs or replacement of the sign. Firefighters confirmed there was fire extension or remaining hazards before occupants were invited to return inside.

Posted 11/18/2019 - 10:25am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)