Fire at Downtown Property Linked to Unattended Fire Pit
Firefighters responded to a fraternity house downtown for reports of smoke and flames seen at the back of the house. Engine Co. 1 found light smoke in the area as they approached 12 Langdon Street. Upon investigation, firefighters found an outdoor fire pit with smoldering debris situated atop a flat-roof deck. The wood decking under the fire pit was charred and smoldering. Firefighters cut away part of the deck, and they searched adjacent residential units, to check for fire extension. The crew confirmed fire did not spread into other areas of the building. Residents reported using the fire pit the previous night and thought the fire had been extinguished. Nobody was injured or displaced.
Safety Reminder: In accordance with city ordinance, fire pits are only to be used at least 15 feet away from buildings and are not to be used on combustible decks, porches, or patios. Only clean, dry wood may be burned, and the fire pit should be supervised at all times by a responsible adult. Get to know the requirements for outdoor and open burning in the City of Madison, Town of Madison, Town of Blooming Grove, and Village of Shorewood Hills.