Fire At West Side Spa the Result Of Spontaneous Combustion

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Monday, January 27, 2020 - 7:16am
Arrival
Monday, January 27, 2020 - 7:20am
Address
600 Block Grand Canyon Drive
Madison, WI
Narrative

A fire discovered inside a west side spa on Monday is the result of spontaneous combustion of oil-saturated fabrics.

The Madison Fire Department was called to complex on the 600 block of Grand Canyon Drive for reports of alarms sounding and a strong odor somewhere in the building. The building is home to multiple businesses, including a childcare center. Evacuation was already in progress when firefighters arrived on scene.

Inside the business at 620 Grand Canyon Drive, firefighters located a clothes basket burning inside a laundry room. Engine Co. 7 extinguished the basket and placed it outside. Crews ventilated the building to eject the smoke, and all occupants were able to return to the building.

The MFD Fire Investigation Team determined the fire was accidental. Towels and sheets containing massage oils had been washed and dried the night prior to the fire. The fabrics were placed in a laundry basket, where heat continued to build over time, ultimately resulting in spontaneous combustion Monday morning.

Posted 01/30/2020 - 7:43am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)