Incident Type: 
Monday, May 16, 2022 - 8:36pm
Monday, May 16, 2022 - 8:40pm
700 Vernon Ave
Madison, WI 53714

A kitchen fire that started with cooking oil Monday, displaced a family of three.

City of Madison Firefighters responded to the fire around 8:30 p.m. on the 700 block of Vernon Ave. One occupant called 911 and attempted to extinguish the fire with fire extinguishers before safely evacuating. The fire alarm was sounding and residents of the 8-unit apartment complex had evacuated.

As Engine 5’s crew entered the second floor, they noticed smoke coming from an open apartment door. Firefighters entered the apartment and quickly located the cause of the fire.

Firefighters ventilated and overhauled the ceiling above the cabinets and behind the stove to confirm no fire extension.

Two adults and an infant escaped the home without any injuries.

The fire started by an unattended pan of cooking oil left on the stove, causing around $15,000 damage.

The family has insurance and found another place to stay for the night.

Posted 05/17/2022 - 1:50pm

Bernadette Galvez, 16082430180