Incident Type: 
Saturday, May 28, 2022 - 11:19pm
Saturday, May 28, 2022 - 11:23pm
700 block Bewick Drive
Madison, WI

An east side home suffered approximately $2500 in damage following a fire caused by discarded coals.

Engine Co. 5 and other east side fire companies responded to the 700 block of Bewick Drive for reports of flames seen. Firefighters arrived to find a plastic trash can and the corner of a house on fire. Engine 5 hosed down the house and garbage can and checked the house siding for any additional fire spread. The owner reported putting coals in the trash can prior to the fire. Crews determined this was the cause of the exterior house fire. No injuries were reported.

Safety Tip: With grilling and outdoor fire season upon us, folks are reminded to wait up to 72 hours before discarding their spent charcoal or ashes in the trash. If the charcoal/ashes must be removed from their original spot, place them in a metal container and away from buildings, fences, and other combustible objects until they’re completely cooled down.

Posted 05/31/2022 - 8:38am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)