Incident Type: 
Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 2:16pm
Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 2:20pm
3100 block Ridgeway Avenue
Madison, WI

One person was taken to the hospital after being found unresponsive in an apartment building. A bystander reported finding the patient in a common hallway. Smoke alarms were sounding inside the apartment unit near where the patient was found. The bystander went inside, found fire on the stovetop, and put out the fire. The bystander dialed 911 and was able to get the patient outside just as Ladder Co. 8, Medic 3, and other east side fire companies arrived on scene.

Paramedics took over patient care and evaluation. The patient's condition was not believed to be related to the fire, and he did not appear to have suffered fire-related injuries. Medic 3 transported him to a local hospital.

Meanwhile, firefighters examined the kitchen to confirm the fire was completely extinguished. There is damage to the stove, overhead hood vent, and adjacent walls. Crews ventilated the apartment to clear any remaining smoke and turned the property back over to the owner.

Posted 06/29/2022 - 10:43am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)