Incident Type: 
Carbon Monoxide
Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 2:05am
Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 2:10am
7300 Whitacre Road
Madison, WI 53717

City of Madison firefighters responded to the 7300 block of Whitacre Road around 2 a.m., Saturday, November 19th, after the resident reported their carbon monoxide alarms were sounding.

Firefighters from Station #2 arrived, finding the residents had safely exited the 2-story, single family home and found no injuires.

They stated their carbon monoxide alarms had sounded, which they silenced but they sounded again, so they called 911.

Fire crews found CO readings in the mid 50’s on the first floor and 70’s on the second floor. The basement showed a reading of 78. One of the occupants informed the firefighters they shut off the furnace prior to their arrival.
Firefighters confirmed the furnace was shut off and also shut off the water heater. They also checked the outside vent, which was free of debris.

The readings dropped throughout the house after positive pressure fans were used to ventilate and the occupants were allowed back into their home.

MG&E also responded.

Be sure you have working Carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, including your basement. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas produced by incomplete combustion. Common sources of CO include small engines, stoves, lanterns, open flames, space heaters, fireplaces, gas ranges, water heaters, blocked chimneys, furnaces or running a car inside a garage.

Posted 11/21/2022 - 11:12am

Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844,