High Carbon Monoxide Levels Found in Home

Incident Type: 
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch: 
Wednesday, January 12, 2022 - 9:17am
Address: 
2200 Lakeland Ave
Madison, WI 53704
Narrative: 

On Wednesday, January 12th around 9:20 am, firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide incident on the 2200 block of Lakeland Avenue.

M&E personnel were first on scene of the single family resident and told firefighters he got a CO reading of 300ppm (parts per million) just inside the doorway. Firefighters assisted with ventilation.

MG&E discovered the source of the carbon monoxide was coming from the homes boiler, which was located in the basement. MG&E shut the boiler off and red tagged it.

Fire crews asked the occupant how they were feeling. The occupant said they felt fine and did not want any medical attention.

Prolonged exposure to 300 ppm can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, with symptoms including nausea, vomiting, dizziness and generally feeling sick.

Dubbed the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas that is highly toxic. It’s the byproduct of any fuel-burning appliance like a furnace or water heater, wood-burning fireplaces or idling vehicles. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of the home.

Posted 01/13/2022 - 11:52am
Contacts: 

Bernadette Galvez, 16082430180, bgalvez@cityofmadison.com