Incident Type: 
Saturday, May 14, 2022 - 5:10pm
Saturday, May 14, 2022 - 5:14pm
7100 block Colony Drive
Madison, WI

One person is displaced as a result of a house fire resulting from malfunctioning swimming pool equipment.

Multiple 911 callers reported a house on fire on the 7100 block of Colony Drive. Ladder Co. 2 arrived to find significant flames and smoke from the exterior of the house. The occupant was safely outside and was not injured. Engine Co. 7 and Ladder Co. 7 entered the home and began fire attack from the interior. Other crews performed search and rescue and confirmed nobody else was inside. The fire began on the outside of the house but quickly spread up the siding and into the attic space. The fire caused significant damage to the attic and upper level of the home.

The MFD Fire Investigation Team determined the fire was accidental in nature. A malfunction in a backyard pool pump filtration system is believed to be the cause. Damage estimates are not yet available.

Posted 05/14/2022 - 7:30pm

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)