Misuse of Candle Causes House Fire Early Sunday Morning.
Early Sunday morning fire crews were sent to a house fire on the east side of Madison. A neighbor called 911 at 5:00 am to report smoke coming from a home in the 600 block of North Street. Medic 8 was first to arrive and began an initial search of the residence. Upon arrival Engine 3 began an interior attack on the fire. Ladder 8 was assigned to do a secondary search of the home and found that all occupants had exited the home safely. The fire was knocked down at 5:15.
The Madison Fire Department Fire Investigation Team began an investigation to determine the cause of the fire. It was found that misuse of a candle had caused a nearby upholstered chair to ignite. The nearby contents of the room also began to catch fire.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) warns people not to burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc. Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lit candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else. Further information from the NFPA can be found here: http://ow.ly/XR6vj
Joel Kneifel, 608-243-0180, firstname.lastname@example.org